Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas leaking from airbox/carb boot?! Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leaking from airbox/carb boot?! Help Please!

Hey everyone,

So the other day I was about to take my 1980 suzuki gs850gl to work and while it was warming up the idle dropped and then the bike died. Could not get it started for the life of me, but when I got home from work I noticed the vacuum tube from the petcock had slid off. Slipped it back on and after a minute she started up fine. Forward to a couple day later and when I go out to the bike there is gas dripping from the 1st carb/air box boot. Did a bit of research on here and from what I could tell it is either something in the carbs that won't let the needle down or a petcock issue. I supposedly have a new petcock that the previous owner had just put on but who knows.

My plan is to replace the carb to engine boots and o rings, replace the boots from air box to carbs and put in a new petcock. I have never cleaned a carb but if I need to I will pull it apart. Is there anything else I should do or specifically look for when I start this project? I know I need to change the oil as well before I ride too.

Thank you all for your help!

Things done-
    Oil changed with rotealla heavy duty diesel oil
    Fram oil filter
    Shaft gear oil changed, now with full synthetic
    Airbox cleaned and added a K&N oiled air filter
    New fuel lines
    New yuasa battery
    New continental tires
    Brakes bled/new brake fluid
    New spark plugs NGK B8-ES
    Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2015, 02:16 PM.

While the carbs are out I'd clean them for sure. A valve adjustment is in order as well. Do the valve adjustment before re-syncing the carbs.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Fram filters are a poor choice, as their quality has deteriorated .
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I just don't feel comfortable enough yet to perform that myself. Do you think what I will be performing will fix my gas leak?

Comment

Working...
        X