GS 1000GT Carb leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000GT Carb leaks

Last fall I drained the float bowls and put the bike away for the winter. This spring when I got the bike out and
    fired it up the carbs leak when it fired up. I had replaced the float bowl drain screw gaskets and tighten then up to make sure they weren't leaking, but I still have a substantial fuel leak when it runs. I checked the obvious,
    the fuel and vacuum lines, and they are fine. Before I take the carbs off and break them down, does anyone have experience with what could be wrong? It ran beautifully last year with no leaks. Could a float bowl be stuck? Leak in the o-rings in the fuel systems connecting carbs? Thanks for your thoughts.

OK I am not sure but you may want to check to see if a float is stuck. I know it sounds crazy but when you drained them. One of The float needle could have frozen up letting to much gas in and over flow. Just try taking a screw driver and giving each one a couple taps to see if you can break it loose. Just a thought. Not a pro at carb but I have had the same problem before.

Comment

Try giving the float bowls a little rap with a hammer and see if it unsticks the floats.

Can you tell where the fuel is coming from? Put it in prime and take a look.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Comment

I just had the same issue. One or more float valve pins must have been stuck. These pins have a rubber tip and I think over the winter they dried out. I just left it the float bowls full of gas for a day, drained them (on the bike), and tapped a little on the carbs. When I open the petcock to prime no more leaks

Otherwise you may have to pull your carbs and pull the bowls off. Just move the floats with your finger and make sure they move properly and are not full of gas (hole in the float) and the valve pins drop by gravity. Also some valve pins have a spring actuated pin that must also move freely.

This youtube video should help:
          Carburetor leakage, especially significant leaking while the bike is running, can have a dangerous and damaging effect on your bike. The type of carb leakage...

Comment

Thanks, guys. Tapping on the float bowls did the trick! No more leaks.

Comment

Great information thanks, I'll give it a try.

mercedes-benz servicing

Comment

Working...
              X