No announcement yet.

went to change my intake manifold o-rings, doesn't look like they have o rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

went to change my intake manifold o-rings, doesn't look like they have o rings

79 gs850g

went to change out my intake manifold o rings and i the whole backside that mates to the engine feels rubbery, looks like there are o rings but when i try to pry them out it seems they are all one piece with the rest of the intake manifold. anyone ever seen this they appear newer then the bike still pliable and in good shape and I could see the Suzuki made on them so i know they are OEM any input wondering if there are some new ones floating around that don't have o rings

They are probably baked to perfection and have become one with the boot.

go here....
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

doesn't look like it, I have an old rotted set off another bike and i can clearly make out the ring. On these the whole engine mating side feels "rubbery", and its not RTV or anything. I can see an outline of what looks like the ring but when i try and pry it out with a small pic it seems its all one piece just don't want to ruin these intakes if thats the way they are supposed to be. Bike seemed to be starting fine and everything i just wanted to check them while i was in there

Comment

Throw a picture up here. It would help greatly.

Comment

Heres a couple pics hard to tell from the pictures but these look different then ones I had laying around off a 7501430914979143-1921491765.jpg

Comment

143091510042024200766.jpg143091510042024200766.jpg

Comment

Kawasaki boots look like those. Maybe one of the bikes previous owners changed them out?
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ed beat me to it...Kawi boots.

EDIT..after 78s post and looking at the the second pic, i agree with 78s post. First one ..at better study...looks like someone may have coated the flange with some RTV????
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-06-2015, 08:47 AM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Those are the O-rings. Get yourself a new set. They are hard and cooked from the engine heat. Mine came off the same way, but in pieces.

A small dental pick should get under them and pop them off.

Mine looked like this: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...180628_284.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Ed beat me to it...Kawi boots.

EDIT..after 78s post and looking at the the second pic, i agree with 78s post. First one ..at better study...looks like someone may have coated the flange with some RTV????
                    So if these are the kawi boots do they have removable I rings

Comment

To me they look just like the ones on MY 79 gs850g. http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...170710_332.jpg

Crappy picture, but looks the same.

There are o rings in the picture you posted. Use the dental pick like I said and you will remove the vac leak you have there.

Comment

update!
                        went and poked around at them with a dental pick and thats not going to work. Also stuck a screwdriver inside the bore and pried out and the whole inside flexes if that makes sense with tells be from the inside bore there is no metal ring between the bore and the indent for the o-ring. don't know what these intake tubes were off of but like i said they were working fine before i pulled everything apart so don't want to destroy what works when i get everything back together ill do the starter fluid spray test around where they mate to the engine to check for leaks. Thanks for all the info

Comment

alright got everything back together (was checking valves etc...) checked the intake manifolds and they do leak not that bad as it starts really easy and seems to run strong but maybe they have been leaking all along and i think thats running fine.

anyways anyone have a good set of intake manifolds for a 79 gs850g or recommend a good place to get them, should i only get oem?

Comment

There is no such thing as 'not leaking that bad'. Any leak means the carbs are out of balance. My 850 started and ran when I first got it but when I pulled the carbs, the hoses crumbled to dust.

I also found that there is very little hope of finding a good used set as they will have been fitted on a bike for 35+ years.

Here is your part numbers required for the inlet hoses and o rings
                            Shop online for OEM Air Cleaner parts that fit your 1979 Suzuki GS850G, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542
                            The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Crusie around here and see if Don has repops for you...

JBM Industries rubber carburetor holder socket boots, flange intake sockets, vibration isolators, stainless steel exhaust springs, for Rotax 912, 582, 503, 447, 377, Zenoah & HKS engines. Yamaha 650 SX and TX Mikuni BS-38 and 34 CV carbs. Diaphragms & holders.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X