New addition to the corral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New addition to the corral

Trying to get this old gal going and thought I'd pull the carbs to see whats what and I looked to the cleaning procedures for both types of carbs that came with these bikes but neither appear to look like mine. They are Mikunis but don't look like the ones in either rebuild files.
    Chris

Attached Files

Just trying to positively identify these and is there a specific tutorial for these anywhere here?

Comment

Look like stock VM26's to me

Like the ones off my 78 1000

Comment

Thanks, those are them. Is there an online guide specific to cleaning those or are they just similar enough to the guide on Cliff's site?

Comment

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...rb_rebuild.pdf this is the one to use.

Comment

That's perfect! Thanks SVSooke

Comment

Follow up questions. I got the carbs off, cleaned and back on but not sure which nipple to attach the vacuum hose from the petcock to. Is it shown in the picture below and which one? Also, my vacuum petcock has only one setting mark for PRI which is roughly at 10:00. What direction should the screw on the petcock be oriented?

Thanks

Comment

The two on the "ends"(2&4) are vents,#3 is the petcock feed.Sounds like a replacement 80 tank Suzuki was supplying a while ago with the dread levelerless petcock.No help from me on that as mine has a 78 tank and petcock thanks to helpful GSR members

Comment

Thanks, that's what I thought. So I have it set up correctly, but the petcock just isn't functioning. Is there a difference in the petcock size from '78 to '80? There must be I suppose or everyone would be using the manual ones. Too bad because the inside of this tank is pretty clean. Any work arounds other than the same failure prone petcock?

Comment

Originally posted by kc78gs1000 View Post
                    ... Is there a difference in the petcock size from '78 to '80?...
                    The 1980 models use a completely different petcock than the 1978-79 models. I think they made the change to allow enough room to squeeze in the BS34SS (CV) carbs. They function the same though; you just need a screwdriver to turn the valve from On (run) to Pri (prime).

Comment

Thanks for the help. She is alive, not sure how well yet, but at least she runs. Hopefully this link worked.

Comment

The vacuum operated petcock does not work however. Still need some kind of resolution for that dilemma. Is there another option besides this that will fit my tank or am I relegated to probable regular petcock failure?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X