Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Gs550e CV Carbs Pods/Exhaust Question

Hi Everyone

I've been searching and cant find what I am looking for. I found a 'definitive' guide of jetting suggestions for pods and exhaust previously but am having a hard time locating it. Sorry in advance. Anyway, here is what I would like to do. Please let me know what you suggest as far as jetting/advice/etc.

1980 Gs550E/ CV Carbs
    I am Currently running pure stock box/filter/pipes

I would like to do this:
    4 into 2 Exhaust with Mufflers/ chopped short
    Pod Filters

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry again if this has been discussed extensively. I remember reading that this is a major pain, but I would really like to do this. Thanks all!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM.

after reading through this and other forums regarding Pods/Exhausts+CV Carbs, I have encountered a few opinions.
    1.-leave float heights stock and slow running screws too - rejet mains + 3-7
    2.-k&n Pods + Dynojet Stage 3 Kit and it is good to go
    3.-It is not possible

If you have any insight/experience/ or advice that you would like to share on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also, does anyone have experience running the standard airbox with Shorter pipe w mufflers?
    Any recommendation on carbs other than CV's that would allow pods/pipes to work?

Thanks again!

Comment

I vote for #2 , but you'll likely have to do some messing around to adjust for your shorty pipes. Were you lucky enough to get this thing running well in stock condition or have you inherited someone else's project ?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I will put in a vote for #2a.

2a. APE pods and a Dynojet kit, but you might still have to do some "fine-tuning".

APE pods are about as good as K&Ns, but are less than half the cost.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Tom and Steve,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will give 2A a shot and let you know how it goes. I got the bike for $300 non running and has been an ongoing project of mine and has been a blast to see some progress finally starting to happen. The biggest issue I had with it was valve adjustment and carbs/ some electrical hunting. Other than that, its in great shape. However, after rebuilding the carbs it feels like it is running well fully stock now. I am a bit nervous of figuring out how the mufflers will fit on the stock pipes or at least am hoping it works!! Thanks again for your help fellas. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

If you take a moment to update your profile with a location, we can tell you whether there is anyone close enough to lend a hand.

While you are "updating", add a short sig that mentions your bike, so you don't have to remember to mention it every time you ask a question.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What kind of mufflers are you planning to use? Some members here have successfully used Harley mufflers on their GS before. They are both small and readily available for cheap.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hey Ed and Steve,

Thanks, and hopefully updated my Profile correctly, guys. I was planning on using the below. These are Harley aftermarket mufflers to the most of my knowledge. from a very quick measurement, the diameter at which I will be mounting/weldiong will be just under 1.75. Ed: Thank you very much for the information. I had no idea that Harley Mufflers would be an applicable fit. I just happened upon these an was hoping that I could make them work(Hoping the link works/Newbie): https://www.biltwellinc.com/p363/buy...-cannon-black/

Comment

Working...
                X