Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850L Problems Please Help

Please delete
    Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2015, 01:17 AM.

1. You need to clean more than the jets in Berryman's. You need to soak the whole carb body and the float bowl.

2. Is the airbox installed when you are trying to rev the engine?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Carbs look brand new on inside. Float bowls are obviously new. Like shiny new. I put air box back on still bogged bad. Went in house came out a half hour later and bike fired right up... Although it runs ok. #1 cyl still not getting hot on pipe. I thought maybe without air box on it would be lean, but not so lean it wouldn't rev. But like I said right now it is at least rideable

Comment

You need to follow Steve's advice and completely dip the carbs, adjust the valves, and do all of the basic maintenance or you'll continue to have problems.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

What I'll probably do is leave it as is for now. Focus on other maintenance. Oils , plugs etc. I guess my question is would not having air box on lean it out that much? I did look main jets were 115.

Comment

The first step in bringing any of these old bikes back to life is to check and adjust the valve clearances. Change the engine oil and filter. Change the fluids in the primary and secondary drives in the case of your shaft drive. Make sure the airbox is sealed properly and the air filter is clean and properly oiled. Check the airbox boots for proper sealing and ascertain that the rubber is soft and pliable. I can almost guarantee that the O-rings between the carb boots and head need replacing, and probably the manifolds.

If you aren't going to follow people's advice concerning stripping and dipping your carbs correctly, why even bother asking for it? It doesn't matter one bit what the carbs and/or parts LOOK like. You can't see into the many miniscule passages in the carb bodies that air and fuel need to flow freely thru. Leave it the way it is if you want a crappy-running bike that is unsafe to ride. If you want a bike that will give you many thousands of miles of dependable service, do it correctly ONCE and be done with it.

Comment

Johnny I'm asking advice on one part. Carbs just bought bike. I know what to check thank you for the smart ass comments.

Comment

Originally posted by abadrs View Post
                Johnny I'm asking advice on one part. Carbs just bought bike. I know what to check thank you for the smart ass comments.
                My comments weren't smart-assed, nor were they intended to be. You asked for advice on the carbs, then chose to ignore what you were told. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X