Jerky throttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerky throttle?

I noticed something yesterday while riding that has me perplexed. Not sure if I'm posting in the right section. Forgive me if I'm not.

The throttle feels a little "jerky". Say for instance....you are riding down a side street around 30-35 mph and then release the throttle, letting yourself slow down (not downshifting, just staying in same gear and slowing down 5-10 mph). Then you twist the throttle again to speed back up. That's the part that feels jerky. That on/off moment in the throttle. I can also feel changes and very slight jerky sensations while going down a bumpy street.

At first I thought my throttle cable needing adjusting. I made sure I had enough play and that it wasn't too tight, making every small movement affect engine speed. Throttle tube is nice and smooth, throttle is snappy when twisted and released.

Then I thought maybe it was my riding position. Could I be putting too much weight on my wrists?

It's making for an uncomfortable ride. All I want is smooth acceleration.

The on/off throttle jerkiness is pretty normal, at least I think so. Once you add up all the play in the gears and mechanisms between the crankshaft and the wheel, the final amount can be considerable. Especially on an older bike. Especially one with quite a few miles. There's far less of it on our shafties than most chain-driven bikes, if that's any consolation. You can mitigate it a little by selecting a higher gear than strictly necessary. (I'm typically in 3rd when cruising through 25-30 mph zones when 2nd would do fine, as much for smoother riding as less noise.) You can eliminate it to a large extent by slipping the clutch a smidgen when rolling back on the throttle.

Jerky throttle over bumps... I get that on my 750 because it is much more sensitive in the lower end of the throttle range, but not the so much the 850 for some reason. Best advice I can think of is to make sure you're staying loose on the handle bars and put more weight on the foot pegs when you anticipate bumpiness ahead. This turns your legs into shock absorbers and keeps your body from bouncing around with the rest of the bike.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Your CV-type carbs are very sensitive at the very bottom of the range. The transition from "idle" to "just barely more than idle" is rather abrupt. As eil suggests, maybe try one gear higher to help soften the impact. It is also a matter of familiarity. I find that same phenomenon every spring, as I get back on the bike(s). And, to compound the problem, the two bikes that I ride regularly respond just a bit differently in this situation, so I need to re-train myself TWICE.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 1150 was generally a little jerky at low in town cruising speeds. This past winter I rebuilt the carbs including an o ring kit and new intake boots. Now its quite smooth in town. Agreed with Charles on drive line slack. How is your chain tension?
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          How is your chain tension?
          I believe his is a shaft drive since it's an 850. I guess that would make his chain tension VERY slack. -JK
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

My fault for not noting the machine in question. Apologies.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Just messing with you. I had to look back to make sure.

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

There is a fair amount of play coming right from the propshaft. This is likely what you feel. Here's a quick vid showing the play in mine.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                  I believe his is a shaft drive since it's an 850. I guess that would make his chain tension VERY slack. -JK
                  And that would be HER shaft drive.

"Growler" happens to be of the female persuasion.

Note her signature: Girls like to tinker, too.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    My 1150 was generally a little jerky at low in town cruising speeds. This past winter I rebuilt the carbs including an o ring kit and new intake boots. Now its quite smooth in town.
                    What he said. What have you done maintenance wise to the intake/carbs/exhaust? It didn't do that when it left the factory, there's no reason for it to do it now.

Even something simple like carb synch or mixture being set a little wrong can do this.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      And that would be HER shaft drive.

"Growler" happens to be of the female persuasion.

Note her signature: Girls like to tinker, too.

With the way things are today you can't assume anything.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Carbs completely disassembled, dipped, all new o-rings. Everything done exactly via the link on basscliff's site.

Airbox taken apart, resealed, new filter.

New airbox boots, new intake boots.

Valve clearances done.

Carb sync done again after valve clearances.

Stock exhaust. No mods.

Runs great. I'm only a few rides into the season, so I'll try the suggestion of going up one gear and see if that helps.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        What he said. What have you done maintenance wise to the intake/carbs/exhaust? It didn't do that when it left the factory, there's no reason for it to do it now.

Even something simple like carb synch or mixture being set a little wrong can do this.

Comment

Good info. Thanks

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Your CV-type carbs are very sensitive at the very bottom of the range. The transition from "idle" to "just barely more than idle" is rather abrupt. As eil suggests, maybe try one gear higher to help soften the impact. It is also a matter of familiarity. I find that same phenomenon every spring, as I get back on the bike(s). And, to compound the problem, the two bikes that I ride regularly respond just a bit differently in this situation, so I need to re-train myself TWICE.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                            Carbs completely disassembled, dipped, all new o-rings. Everything done exactly via the link on basscliff's site.

Airbox taken apart, resealed, new filter.

New airbox boots, new intake boots.

Valve clearances done.

Carb sync done again after valve clearances.

Stock exhaust. No mods.
                            I would certainly take another look at synchronization, idle mixture screw, and also make sure no one has altered anything to do with the pilot jet or needle position. If for instance it is too lean at idle, and not too lean at a tiny throttle opening, it will surge as it goes from one to the other. Like wise if it's lean at the barely opened throttle, but not lean as the slide comes up a tad, it will do the same thing. Like Steve says, it's very sensitive at low throttle openings. Even different atmospheric conditions from what you had when you set these parameters can have an effect.

Again, it didn't do this when it was new, there is no reason for it now. Starting out in second gear or short shifting or whatever is a band aid fix at best.
                            Last edited by tkent02; 05-18-2015, 05:07 PM.
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Starting out in second gear or short shifting or whatever is a band aid fix at best.
                              We are not suggesting taking off in second gear. Instead, we are suggesting idling through the grocery store parking lot in second, instead of first. Or approaching a traffic light in third, instead of second. Times when you want to keep moving, but a lower gear requires so little throttle that the jerkiness is really enhanced.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X