acceptable airbox sealing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acceptable airbox sealing?

So i'm down to the fix a problem find a problem phase of getting the gs650 back on the road and i just replaced the manifold o-rings which were leaking. Now i've found that my intermediate portion of my airbox, the part that slips between the filter housing and the carbs has a leak at the filter side boot. I was wondering what the acceptable methods of sealing this boot were, because i don't wanna bandaid this and i don't know if that boot is still available new. I was thinking of using some liquid gasket maker

i also forgot to mention that it has a slow to return to idle, which made me think that it was running too rich, so i ran the idle/pilot mix screws in from 2 turns out to 1 and 3/4 turns out and didn't help. i may need to go in about another 1/4 turn, but also while chasing for vacuum leaks by using starting fluid, i found that the seal between the carb box and air filter box to have a leak. so that is something that i need to address before i continue tweaking a/f mixes and vacuum sync.

Comment

" i've found that my intermediate portion of my airbox"

are you referring to oval connection on filter box to airbox ( see pic) or the 4 tubes that connect to carb mouths?
      A slow return to idle is more likely a leak on carb boot side. You replaced the boot/head o-rings, how do boots themselves look?
      Attached Files
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

the boots looked great, no cracks or tears that i could see and still soft and pliable. i haven't been able to find any leaks. i went a head and pulled that part and applied some sealant/gasket maker. it ran great on the test bottle while i was vacuum tuning and testing for vacuum leaks and didn't find any, idled great, and rev'd up and came back down just fine. tank on and test ride i found a hanging idle and lack luster acceleration, not like what it used to have. i pulled the plugs and #2 was damn near spotless and after testing the spark i found intermitant spark so i think my diy ignitor may need rebuilding, or i have a bad wire/connection at the coil. i think that i am going to rebuild the ignitor anyway, since i used cheap hei modules from ebay and solder in a case ground. i think it may have been the root of my problems when i took it off the road last september to start the transmission since i was having such a running issue and the trans needed looked at.

Comment

Keep us updated with the ignitor situation, as I've not done much with mine, but would like to know how it stands up for long-term use. Any shortcomings or pitfalls would be useful to know.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Will do grimly. You're the one that i stole the light switch housing idea from

Comment

Working...
            X