Sugestions needed. Carbs or other ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugestions needed. Carbs or other ?

So i have rebuilt these carb's three times. im guessing at this point it's still the carbs. I have pods on it right now because i don't and have never had the stock air box so i cant try that at this point.. I had 29 smoothbores on it before but they diapered over the 25 years it sat.

The bike will now idle all the way down to 500 rpm since i found the three plugged air ports.
    the bike on the rack will rev to 10.000+ rpm fine every time i twist the throttle. But, riding down the road it runs and pulls untill you get to 6000 rpm and then it feels like you hit a rev limiter and will not go past that point under load.

it has 45 pilots and 125 mains.

Yes i know you should not use pods on these carbs, but its all i have right now.
    The valves and timing are on mark.
    Strong Spark. "electrical pick up."

Could resister plugs be the problem ?
    What else should i be looking at ?

I have a set of 26 mm stock 79 carbs im going to clean and put on to see if it will get past that point.
    I have a old set of 26mm boots. i cut the ends of the boots off and made them into a spacer between the 26mm carbs and the 32 mm CV boots.
    Its a nice tight fit.
    I dont want to have to buy carbs unless i have to, and have exhausted all other options..

This is a 635 big bore with cams and other related parts.

Thanks, Phil
    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2015, 08:21 PM.

You may not want to hear this but the most likely culprit is the pods. If you can source a stock airbox, then at least you will have something to establish a baseline against. Failing that, I suppose you can try going up on the main jets. What do you have for an exhaust?
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Full yoshimura exhaust..

Comment

Sure would be nice to know what bike you are talking about.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry.. LOL... its a 1979 gs550e. 635 kit with cam's. Cams degree'd, valve springs, lite porting. it use to run with this setup but it had 29 smoothbores back then.. I only have a set of 1980 CV carbs and a set of stock 26mm.

Comment

Working...
          X