Intake O-Ring Fitment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake O-Ring Fitment?

Should an intake o-ring easily fit into the grove on the intake or should it need to be stretched to fit?

I am replacing the intakes and the o-rings on my 1981 GS450T. The intake o-ring that I purchased is slightly smaller than the grove on the new intake. I can stretch it slightly and make it fit. Is this normal or was i shipped the wrong sized o-ring? I've included a picture and I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Attached Files

I'm gonna say stretch it. Mine required slight persuasion to fall into the groove.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2015, 10:06 PM. Reason: Elaboration on my experience

Comment

Wrong size
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Definitely the wrong size.

Comment

Wow, I'm wrong according to others. I defer.

Comment

Mine dropped right in on my 450, fit perfectly. Can't remember the size, but it was a metric size Viton oring from the local O ring oracle.

Looks like yours is about 2mm too small on the ID.

Measure the inside diameter, and the thickness, get one slightly thicker than the groove is deep, and one in which the inside diameter matches the inside of that slot.
            Get Viton and it will last forever.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My o rings came in OEM packaging. Perhaps o rings shrink a little over time if it has been on the shelf awhile?

Comment

I'm really glad you didn't get that from me... it should be a 40mm inside diameter, and no, it shouldn't shrink over time. That O-ring is almost certainly a 38mm. What was the part number on the OEM package?
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I've contacted the vendor and they are shipping the proper sized o-rings. Thank you all for the assistance and confirmation.

Comment

Working...
                  X