1984 GS1150 exhaust popping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 GS1150 exhaust popping

I have an 1150, just got it running, it was initially running like crap on start up and traced it to a bad spark plug boot. I've since replaced all of the boots, and it seems to be running smooth, but is making occasional popping noises from the muffler, making it seem like it isn't simply an exhaust leak. The work i've done to the bike consists of rebuild engine, cleaned carbs, new plugs, new boots, new rotor, new clutch pack, rebuilt brakes. I've checked the wiring from the pick up through the signal to the coil, checked the coil, checked timing. I haven't balanced the carbs since i've gotten the bike, but i'm not sure if that would cause this issue. I'm starting to think its something with fuel delivery or intake (maybe air leak on one of the boots), but i'm honestly not sure. I'm in diagnostic mode right now so any suggestions will be useful.

Try spraying some carb cleaner around the boots & see if it revs up. You could also try a half turn out on the mixture screws. Better smarter guys then me will jump on here & help you

Comment

As Katarat said those more knowledgeable will be along...and they will likely ask.....when does the popping occur? Acceleration? Deceleration? Steady cruising?
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

It seems to happen most when i just let off the throttle, when setting in neutral or just starting to decelerate. I'll see if i can get an onboard video tomorrow morning before i go to work.

Comment

My money is on an exhaust leak. But then I'm not a betting man, so........

Comment

I'm not going to rule exhaust out yet, i'll go over the couplers and and make certain everything is sealed up in the morning

Comment

It could very simply be the fact that you haven't finished setting up the carbs yet. Vacuum synch them and then do your fine tuning and report back.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

In my experience if it pops on decal the idle mixture screw is too lean, turn them out 1/2 like I said & try it. You do need to get everything else right too before you start making changes

Comment

I believe you really need to dial the carbs in before trying to troubleshoot anything else. There are several methods available, including the procedure linked in my signature.

Comment

I should have time tomorrow to balance and tune the carbs, i'll check in when i'm done

Comment

Don't know if you ever got the problem fixed or not but did you put the 4 exhaust collets back on the pipes for 2 & 3 cylinder. Mine were gone so I didn't know I needed them until I looked a parts diagram

Comment

Another quick note.... I recently leaned my carbs by turning in the idle screws (1/2 turn)- it was a rich at low speed. Now on decel, throttle closed, I get an occasional lean pop. Katarat may be on to it. Also, a full carb rebuild, replacement of bad intake boots, and synch made a huge difference in rideability and smoothness on mine.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Bring out the idle mixture screws a half turn each.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                          X