Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb swap/Custom carb setup

First post. I know, noob, blah blah.
    I've got an '81 GS550t with all the classic CV carb problems. I bought it as a basket case for $200 from a drunk guy down the street. I cleaned the hell out of the stock carbs, but they are just too far gone. One of them is JB welded together, and at best I can get it to run on 4 cylinders sporadically.

I'm looking at replacing them with something else with a cable operated slide. I have a lot of experience with scooters, and one of the most popular carbs to use are Koso style flat slide carbs. Most of what I've found about retrofitting the CV carbs refers to using the round-bore Mikunis that came on earlier models. I found a set of flat slide 32mm Koso's dirt cheap on flea-bay that are new, and a '69 cb750 4-carb cable to link 'em together. Before I bite the bullet and actually order the carbs, I was curious if anyone has any experience using this style of carburetor on a GS550?

I'm not afraid of Kustom action, but at the same time, if there is some glaring incompatibility that I'm missing, I'd like to know. Here's a current picture... still lots to be done.
    Attached Files

Figure I aught to add a link to the carbs I'm looking at. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWK-Koso-32-...bef58b&vxp=mtr

Comment

you might struggle to find 40mm inlet rubbers that will fit your 550
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

These carbs had the same size port on the intake side as the mikuni CVs that came on the bike... I ordered a single carb to experiment with, I suppose I'll find out in a week or two when they arrive.

Comment

Where are you? There are a few of us here that work on carbs, we might have some spare parts or even a spare body to replace your botched carbs.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Where are you? There are a few of us here that work on carbs, we might have some spare parts or even a spare body to replace your botched carbs.

I'm on the big island of Hawaii. I would rather just do away with the CVs altogether at this point, since I've had nothing but trouble so far. Almost all of them have crossthreaded jets from the PO, clogged idle circuits and one has a broken float support. I would need at least two carb bodies to possibly get them working... thanks for the offer, though.

Comment

It would be much easier, and probably less expensive in the long run, to buy some used CV carbs and rebuild them.

Comment

Working...
              X