Seafoam dip in place of carb dip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seafoam dip in place of carb dip

Wondering if this would be an alternative to carb dip for those who cant get the good stuff? Couple of cans in a tupperware bowl?
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

I would search the forums....others have used liquids other than berry mans dip. (Pine Sol, etc). Seafoam would be big $$ (16 ounce can cost me 12.00).

Also I would question Tupperware. The last thing you want is dissolving plastic in the carb or a leak that washes your parts who knows where.

Comment

you're in boston. You can get berryman's dip.
      Check autozone, if they dont have it, they can get it from one of the other local autozones. There's three or four AZ's near boston.

Comment

Sorry should have been more clear. I know I can get it.
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic
        1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Berrymans FTW.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
            Sorry should have been more clear. I know I can get it.
            Then why not get the right product for the job? Not trying to be a pain, but just don't understand why you're looking for an alternative if Berrymans is available?
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Seafoam is not going to disolve varnish. It can clean some minor buidlup of gummy stuff but the dried hard stuff needs the big guns.
              I think you would be throwing your money away.

Comment

Gunk or the carburetor dip they sell a NAPA both work fine.
                Last edited by OldVet66; 05-30-2015, 07:32 PM.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

True it does the Berryman's clique on here is a tad to zealous in their religiosity.

Comment

As is the Ultrasonic cleaner clique. Try it.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What about the berryman's/sonic cleaner crowd? I do both when i strip and dip

Comment

I would have suggested an ultrasonic cleaner, but you did say dip. I'm not sure of seafoam dip, but berrymans is cheap and easy to be found. It's proven to work, and again. rather inexpensive so that's why people like it you know?

Comment

I'm one of the Berrymans Pro 5 gallons #0901 or 1 gallon #0905 and ultrasonic cleaner crowd. I don't mess with the cheap Berrymans dip found at Walmart #0996. Get the good stuff and you'll notice the difference. Smells like moth balls not kerosene. Sure beats having to dip the carbs several times like some have had to.

Dip the parts that don't dissolve and sonic clean everything before the poke and carb cleaner spray routine. Never had a carb that wouldn't come clean using that method and I've had some really black gummed up monsters. Been doing it that way since I was rebuilding Mikuni PHH and SU carbs for my Datsun 240Z's.

One small tip... I dip the metal parts with the O-rings still attached. MUCH easier to get them off for replacement.
                          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                            What about the berryman's/sonic cleaner crowd? I do both when i strip and dip
                            WIN ! - Me too -- dip and ultrasonic zealotry is running rampant now.

Comment

Agreed - if it's available and proven to work/cheaper, I'd go with that. And I do. Plus the ultrasonic dip in Simple Green HD.
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------
                              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                              X