Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to me GS1000G will only fire with starting fluid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to me GS1000G will only fire with starting fluid.

I just bought my bike from my future father in law, he said it ran last summer, but only started it once in a while to take it down the road and back and park it. The choke cable is stuck, so you have to choke it by hand on the side of the engine. I drained the gas, put in 93 octane, and added the recommended amount of seafoam, and it started for a few minutes, but died, and never started again without the help of starting fluid. Checked the air filter, its clean. do these things have a fuel filter that might be gummed up, or should I suspect the carbs are the problem?

Standard procedure... Rebuild the carbs (without using carb kits) and adjust the valves. These are a MUST for a new purchase that wont run.

Go here for the procedures on how to do both and a lot more:

Here is the carb rebuild tutorial:

and here is the valve adjustment:

Here is the factory service manual for your bike:

Good luck and have fun with your new ride.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

And get rid of the 93 octane.

You only need 87 for it to work properly.

Last edited by Steve; 05-31-2015, 11:43 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok, allow me some slack here as I show my ignorance...I know barely anything about fuel delivery systems once you start unbolting things. I fully understand the need for the carb rebuild, but why the valves? What do they do that would need adjusting?
        Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2015, 10:17 PM.

Comment

The valves on an 8 valve GS tend to tighten as you use them. Once they get past spec they cause start ability issues and potential damage to the valves. Without proper maintenance they can cause permanent damage. It's one of the primary reasons that GS bikes are scrapped.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Wow, I really hope that's not the case here, it's in too good of shape to have to get rid of it.

Comment

Well if the bike ran a little while ago it is highly unlikely you have a serious problem. More like gummy carbs. Follow GTGS's advice and direction and you will be able to get her going again.

Carbs and electrical issues sideline more bikes than anything else so address these first. Carb rebuilding seems overwhelming, I grant you, but it really is not if you are organized and thorough.

Give it a go.

Good luck with it and let us know how you make out.

Comment

Check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature. Lots going on here. Too many assumptions.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you find the carb rebuild stuff intimidating, consider using a forum member to do it. You remove carbs, send them out and voila , they come back ready to reinstall. Yes, it costs money . Meanwhile you get to play catch up on other maintenance issues.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    If you find the carb rebuild stuff intimidating, consider using a forum member to do it. You remove carbs, send them out and voila , they come back ready to reinstall. Yes, it costs money . Meanwhile you get to play catch up on other maintenance issues.
                    Chef1366 and I probably do most of the carb work here, but there are a few others. I am just on the other side of the state from you, so am reasonably close.

Here is my "ad" in the Parts and Services forum:
                    Carb Cleaning and Polishing service.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I found a guy local that will do all the work, from taking off the bike, carbs, valve's and re-installing them back on the bike for $350-$400, is this reasonable?

Comment

I would trust a member here more than any "local guy"... as for valves... this is definitely something YOU can do yourself, and should.
                        -Mark
                        Boston, MA
                        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                        sigpic
                        1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by shameless View Post
                          I found a guy local that will do all the work, from taking off the bike, carbs, valve's and re-installing them back on the bike for $350-$400, is this reasonable?
                          Only if he knows exactly what he's doing.

Ask him which carb rebuild kits he's planning to use. If he scoffs and says "as you can learn on theGSresources.com, the kits suck -- I'm ordering o-rings from Robert Barr at cycleorings.com and cleaning and re-using the original jets and parts", then he probably has the GS-specific knowledge needed.

If he tells you he's using any brand of carb kit or parts , then run far away and don't let him convince you otherwise -- he has no idea what he's doing and the bike will never run right.

Also, odds are very high that you will also need intake boots and o-rings, and it's dead certain that you will need to seal the airbox. If the "local guy" hasn't mentioned these, he does not have the knowledge to do it right.

You are hurtling headlong toward many of the "newbie mistakes", and it would be a shame since that's such an amazing bike when it's sorted out properly. Read the newbie mistakes link thoroughly, and if the work required still scares you, do whatever it takes to make contact with the many knowledgeable GSR folks in Ohio.

Also, throw that starting fluid in the trash. It's dangerous, completely useless garbage.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thanks for all the input, that's a lot to study and take in. lol I've used this guy before, he redid the carbs on my 95 katana, they are a 4 carb setup as well, he's a pretty strait shooter from my experience.

Comment

Did you run it before you drained it and added the seafoam? Maybe the seafoam dislodged **** and now your petcock screen is plugged.

Try and drain some fuel, if it does not drain then it may be plugged. Did you remember to hook up the vacuum line? If not she will run for a few minutes until the fuel in the bowls is exhausted. Then she will run no more because of the forgotten vacuum hose. You said you were not the best with these systems and the vacuum line is a simple mistake.

If you have a local guy that you are comfortable with, use him! There are plenty of good mechanics who know just as much and more than the claimed pros, just because they are not a forum member does not mean they do not know what they are doing!
                              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                              X