Carb leak from brass tube joint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb leak from brass tube joint.

I have a leak where the brass tube meats the aluminum body.
    Should I remove to reapply epoxy or should I just epoxy the joint?

Thank you.
    Attached Files

New one to me....interested in the fix for this .
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I don't think I can remove the brass tube without damaging something.
      It is part of the fuel to starter jet. Not the end of the world if it leaks since the 3 other carbs are OK but I still want to fix it.

JB Weld or I have some grey Permatex gasket maker. JB Weld should make for a nicer fix.
      I could try sucking air form the fuel tube and try to suck the JB weld as much as I can in the gap but then again I might suck to much in and block the tube.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Got it fixed by adding Permatex grey gasket maker and standing it up to let the Permatex leak into the crack and it worked.
        I then removed the excess gasket. Tested it with 150lbs psi of air pressure and it did not leak.

Attached Files

Comment

Nice photos!
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or genuine . Taken with a Sony Xperia SP nothing fancy.

Any way I removed the extra grey gasket. I used a tooth brush to remove the hard to reach places after the picture was taken.

Attached Files

Comment

NO sarcasm....great photos!
              Nice fix as well.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Most folks have the camera focused on the floor, have no where near enough lighting, etc, etc. Your pics are very good at showing what we need to see. I hope the fix lasts!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Stop it guys I'm .

Comment

Yeah..be interesting to see how it holds up to fuel. keep us informed at some point if it goes South on you.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It's nice when people come back to report how they SOLVED a problem as well as identifying it in the first place.
                      And with clear crisp photos as well..!

Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                      X