"Fixing" rusted out exhausts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fixing" rusted out exhausts?

I've got a 77' gs750 with rusted mufflers. There are decent sized holes in the ends of both of them and the baffle is completely gone from one. The other has a dime sized hole on the bottom, about midway up. The bike ran fine prior to being sidelined with an unrelated issue. I'd like to address the decaying mufflers, but purchasing a new set of highly sought vintage pipes is cost prohibitive at this point.

My questions are:
    1) Is it possible to repair or replace just the baffle and ends of these mufflers? (And if so, where does one find those parts?)

2) I've read all manner of posts explaining the doom and gloom and performance sucking nature of after market mufflers and exhaust modifications. But in their current state, are mine really any better than a cheap Dime City piece that would at least look better?
    Attached Files

20150601_000641.jpg
    The other muffler.

Comment

What I did with mine was I cut off the mufflers completely and had a friend weld sleeves onto the pipes. I then bought Mac slip on mufflers and installed them onto the sleeves. I used a muffler bandage in there as well. Some members don't like the Mac mufflers but they looked like the originals and i was surprised to find that they had removable baffles unlike the originals. They also have an adjustable sliding bracket that took a little bit of fiddling and cutting of the original mounts to fit, but they look great and are quiet. The other thing I noticed is that they do not get as hot as the originals. The cost was reasonable as well - something like $49 or $59 Canadian. I also found two of the cover sleeves at a junkyard, had them re-chromed and welded the nuts on to the sleeves. I looked through the catalogues very carefully before selecting and these were the closest to the originals. My second choice would have been a slip on Dunstall with a cone end. The header pipes are double walled and were in good shape. There was a post a few days ago about spiffing headers up with wadded tinfoil and water. The pics looked great.

Comment

If those are stock pipes, somebody has butchered the ends.

Phred's idea is decent, just need to find some decent mufflers.

Stop by a Harley shop, ask to go through the "throw-away muffler" barrel,
        then ask how much they will pay you to take them.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They are stock and they have been butchered.

Comment

If you want I can dig through my invoices and get the product#. Just PM me or I will check this post in a few days again.

Comment

Working...
            X