Best ultrasonic cleaner....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ultrasonic cleaner....

Had the Harbor Freight one a few years, totally sold on ultrasonic for carburetors. I liked the way it cleaned, better and quicker than the dip, with no nasty chemicals, very good. Not going back. Didn't like the small tank, short timer, and the fact that it takes a lot of cycles just to heat the water up. I think it wasn't powerful enough, a better unit would work quicker. I left some dirty water in it for a few weeks, the stainless steel tank corroded and now it leaks.

I think I'll get a bigger more powerful one this time. Anyone know what's the best bang for the buck? Something in the $200ish range would be OK, maybe more, maybe less. Any brand name that's better than the others? Any features I want? Anything else?

Thinking of this one:

It would be nice to be able to fit a head or cylinders in the tank, but those are closer to $1000. I wouldn't use it often enough to make that worthwhile.

Anyone have any ideas about which one is the best? What are you guys using?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

I've been looking for one also.
    I bid on a few on eBay and also looking for a larger unit.
    I use a hotplate and preheat my water. Cuts the time in half.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Which one are you using now? And can you please measure a cylinder head? Maybe I can find one big enough... but I'm at work and I have no heads here to measure.
      Last edited by tkent02; 06-01-2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I started a thread awhile back.

It's too small. Holds two bodies at a time.
        I really like the results.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Tom, I have the 3L version of that one and only just holds just 1 carb body, the 6 litre would not do any more than 2 carb bodies and certainly not a head from a GS 4 cylinder, you would need the 30 litre model for that.

They do work well and the heater on my one works great.

David
          Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 06-01-2015, 11:59 PM.
          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I've been considering buying something from these guys

I'm really sick of the mess dipping causes. All though now looking at the specs they don't seem that good, here's something that looks far better

Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Found this one, it will fit a GS 1100 cylinder head, and it's fairly inexpensive.. Made an offer, we'll see if he takes it.

All made in China, but it will probably work OK for my occasional use.
              Anyone have any experience with it, or with this manufacturer?

Comment

Interested to hear how it works out if you get it. I have a 6L unit and can do 2 carbs at a time. I'd love to go bigger and be able to clean other bits besides carbs. And of course being able to do a full rack at once would save time.

This is the one I have. He must be out of stock because he jacked the price. Was 199.99 when I got it.

Comment

480 watts sonic power and 22L is a reasonable match for the size but not spectacular. Each transducer is putting out 60W which is common for the ebay cleaners. 8 transducers will reduce the risk of large standing waves and keep areas from not getting proper cavitation. The size looks like it can accommodate a cylinder head, but may be just a tad low on power for the mass of a cylinder head. Should still work though but maybe not on a single cycle. 40khz is a good general purpose frequency and heat is a good option. 600W heating capacity is OK for 22L but will take time to get things up to temp. Not a big deal if you preset the temp before you need to do the cleaning. Even at his buy it now price it looks like a decent deal. This is NOT a true commercial unit but hay, you get what you pay for and it should work for what you're looking to do. If he does accept the make offer, let us know what it is since he has more then 10 available.
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Mine is a 12 liter unit & I put 4 bodies & all the rest of the carb parts in mine all at once. Works awesome, heats quickly & does everything in 1 cycle. I've had mine for over 3 years now with ZERO issues. It won't fit a cylinder head but I didn't buy it for that.
                    Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      Mine is a 12 liter unit & I put 4 bodies & all the rest of the carb parts in mine all at once. Works awesome, heats quickly & does everything in 1 cycle. I've had mine for over 3 years now with ZERO issues. It won't fit a cylinder head but I didn't buy it for that.
                      Ray.
                      Ya boy, you sure can't beat a good sonic cleaner when it comes to cleaning the little passages. I do still dip the carbs but then follow up with the sonic cleaner. Some of the carbs I pick up are pretty gummed up but they're darn clean by the time I'm done.
                      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The one I use is a 30 liter unit, I can just fit a 16 valve head or cylinders in it. When I did the 83 1100 it even removed a lot of the paint, I had the heater cranked up to 80+ cel.

I would clean all parts in the parts washer first. They looked clean, then after the sonic cleaner they were absolutely spotless.

As as for cleaning carbs, I do not even use the dip method, clean in parts washer, disassemble and in the sonic cleaner for 1 hour. Blow out passages and reassemble, done!
                        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                          The one I use is a 30 liter unit, I can just fit a 16 valve head or cylinders in it. When I did the 83 1100 it even removed a lot of the paint, I had the heater cranked up to 80+ cel.

I would clean all parts in the parts washer first. They looked clean, then after the sonic cleaner they were absolutely spotless.
                          I mostly use the dip for paint removal anymore, ultrasonic is THE way to go for carburetors. Still wondering how clean cylinders and heads come out, from your post I guess pretty good!

Absolutely spotless is a beautiful thing, does it get rid of stuck gasket pieces, carbon and the petrified crud way down in the cooling fins?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            I mostly use the dip for paint removal anymore, ultrasonic is THE way to go for carburetors. Still wondering how clean cylinders and heads come out, from your post I guess pretty good!

Absolutely spotless is a beautiful thing, does it get rid of stuck gasket pieces, carbon and the petrified crud way down in the cooling fins?
                            Yes on the cooling fins, gets them pretty clean. It softens any gasket material, that does not fall off, making it easier to remove.

I typically glass bead to remove old paint, then blast with aluminum grit for a rough finish for paint adhesion. Before paint it goes back in the sonic cleaner, then high pressure blow out along with bottle brushing any galleries, then back in sonic cleaner again, another high pressure blow out.

I spend a lot of time cleaning!
                            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                              I spend a lot of time cleaning!
                              A lot less than if you didn't have the ultrasound.

Comment

Working...
                              X