Gpz750 carbs on a gs1000g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gpz750 carbs on a gs1000g

Hi all, has anyone here ever tried running bs34's from a gpz750 on a gs1000? I saw a thread about it in the archives but that focused more on spacing than anything else. I messed up 2 original bs34 bodies trying to remove stuck pilot screw tips, and ordered up a new set from an 1100e from a guy on here. In the meantime a friend of mine gave me his spare set from his gpz when i noticed they were the same as mine. Once i got them home and compared them side by side i noticed some minute differences. First thing i noticed was the main air jet on the gpz carbs was pressed in, not threaded in like on the gs carbs. But from what i read that isn't such a huge deal. Another thing i noticed was that one choke plunger was longer than the other (i believe gs was longer - i can check later). The last, and the way i see it, biggest difference is in the slide/diaphragm area. The gs diaphragm was a few mm bigger in diameter at the outer lip there it sits under the cover, but the slide fits fine in the gpz body. The gpz slide has a largeish notch in the bottom, and a different needle setup. What combination of parts do you guys think i should use? I have all the internals from the gs carbs minus a couple pilot screws, and all the internals of the gpz carbs.

Can't help with using the GPZ750 carbs but if you ever need a complete set of carbs for a GS1000G, I have one that is clean and ready to use. They were originally on my 1000G motor before I swapped over to an 1100G. PM me if you're interested.

The 1100E carbs are a little different then the 1000G carbs in that the non removable main air jet is smaller in the 1100E carb. Kind of messes with the overall jetting that is going to be needed. Don't mix 1100E carbs and 1000G carbs in the same rack unless you drill out the main air jet to 1.7mm on the 1100E carbs to match those in the 1000G. The 1100E carbs use a 1.2mm main air jet.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Pm sent. I really never thought there would be such differences between the two, but thanks. Hypothetically if i were to drill out the main air jets, what else would i have to do to use the 1100e carbs on the 1000g? Just main and pilot jets, or would the slide, jet needle and needle jet need to be changed too? I'd like to have a second set to play with different jettings and, more specifically, pod filters.

Comment

If you're going to go with pod filters then you should consider just picking up a Dynojet stage 3 kit. Pretty much turn key. Includes the needed jets and needles. Since you're going the pod, and assuming exhaust, route then it's the easiest way to get things up and running. Not sure exactly how much the main air jet differences will change things with that setup. You can try it with the 1100E carbs you're getting and if you still would like a spare set, then I have the 1000G carbs for you.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          If you're going to go with pod filters then you should consider just picking up a Dynojet stage 3 kit. Pretty much turn key. Includes the needed jets and needles. Since you're going the pod, and assuming exhaust, route then it's the easiest way to get things up and running. Not sure exactly how much the main air jet differences will change things with that setup. You can try it with the 1100E carbs you're getting and if you still would like a spare set, then I have the 1000G carbs for you.
          The 1100's will be the spares to play around with, but first i'd like to get up and running again with the proper ones from you. I'm missing out on precious road time!

Comment

Working...
          X