Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symptoms of leaking exaust header?

Before you start by saying fix the leak, I know that
    What I want to know are the symptoms of leaking exhaust headers?

What I have read so far.:
    Ticking sound
    Ruff idling
    Sudden up spurs.
    Exhaust fumes in your face.
    Impossible to properly tune your carburetors.

Is the above correct? Am I missing something?
    Does it affect carb syncing?

Thank you.

It would have to be a pretty bad leak in order to effect your carb sync dramatically. Usually the most noticeable effect from a leaking exhaust is backfiring on deceleration. The ticking can also be pronounced. Just depends on where the leak is and how severe. Ruff idling is more of a carb or carb sync issue then a leaking exhaust. Not sure what you mean by sudden up spurs. Can you clarify?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Sudden spurs: At idle it will rev higher for one cycle. you might laugh but like... vrom, vrom, vrom VROM, vrom, vrom
      Same thing when accelerating, in low revs. It's annoying in curves when you need precise throttle response.

Comment

Originally posted by c&c View Post
        Sudden spurs: At idle it will rev higher for one cycle. you might laugh but like... vrom, vrom, vrom VROM, vrom, vrom
        Same thing when accelerating, in low revs. It's annoying in curves when you need precise throttle response.
        Those sort of symptoms sound like an air leak on the carb side not an exhaust leak.
        Cracked carb boots, not properly seated carbs, airbox modifications.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Following, as I'm having similar issues. haven't thought to look for an exhaust leak though..

Comment

I used Permatex copper header gasket maker and it worked. The difference is instant. Deeper sounding exhaust. No more breathing fumes. No more ting ping. Pulls allot stronger.
            It's simply awesome!

It did somewhat attenuate the hesitation and misfiring symptoms but did not fix them.
            For that see my other post:
            Bad spark plugs: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?232977-NGK-D8EA-Sparkplug-Ohm-Specifications
            Testing coils: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-to-test-coils
            Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2015, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c&c View Post
              I used Permatex copper header gasket maker and it worked.
              In addition to the crush gaskets? On both sides of the crush gasket?
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

just as an aside that might pertain
                I changed mufflers to a pair of hand-me-downs off a parts bike- and this caused slight popping on deceleration while riding (ok just sitting and starting up)I haven't been able to tune it out with the idle air mixture ...thinking a little richer when butterfly is shutting might stop it... No "spurs" though. I'm pretty sure these mufflers are too-free flowing as they are louder too. The crossover pipe is fine.

"Spurs" is kind of a good word to describe "surging idle" or whatever!
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-30-2015, 09:03 PM.

Comment

No leaks at the crush gaskets. I have this "race exhaust" where the header pips are held with springs. This is where the leaks were. The header pipes are not a perfect fit.
                  I'll be looking into a permanent solution after the season is over. I originally bought these because I liked the idea not having to remove the bolts from the head for oil changes etc. Just some springs and your done.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2015, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X