82 gs750 won't idle when hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs750 won't idle when hot.

I bought my gs750 two months ago, it didn't run when I got it. I put a new battery in it and it fired right up. After idling smoothly for about 5 minutes the bikes idle started getting lower and eventually died. It wouldn't fire back up. I go out a half hour later and it started right up and did the same thing again.

I checked the plugs and they were black I replaced them. I checked the petcock no fuel came out the vacuum line and fuel only flows from the fuel line. I changed the rectifier. The carbs are clean from what I can tell. And the choke isworking fine.

If anyone has any ideas please let me no. I'm stuck!

The carbs may LOOK clean, but they aren't.

Comment

Yes, best to assume carbs are not clean internally and need attention, just like other maintainance issues. Have a look here at common issues
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks guys all give them a good cleaning here in the next few days.

Comment

Thanks guys all give them a good cleaning here in the next few days.

Comment

And when you've done them (using liberal amounts of solvent and an airline), even if you think you've done it right, be prepared to do them again. Many folks have cleaned out their carbs only to have to do them again. There's a lot of luck involved in getting it right first time.
            The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Hmmm, five minutes is about how long it will idle if it's not getting enough fuel to refill the float bowls. Are you sure the petcock is flowing fuel correctly when the vacuum is opening it?? Just curious how you tested it? Could be barely opening, so as it idles the fuel level gets lower and lower until it quits, then the petcock leaks enough to refill it over the half hour it sits.

I have seen this before with exactly the symptoms you are describing.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

what the other said, clean your carbs, also, have a look at your coils when it dies, see if the still spark when it dies.. maybe they fail when they get hot..

Comment

Iwas told to test the fuel cock by sucking the vacuum line and if fuel flows through the fuel line and not into the vacuum line it was good. I am taking the tank off this coming weekend to check for rust in the tank so I'll take the fuel cock apart then.

Comment

I checked the coils after they were hot and they were still sparking . I have no way to measure the voltage to compared before and after.

Comment

Hey guys! New here, I am having this same problem and was curious to the outcome of the problem. I have my carbs apart and am waiting for new orings and jet plugs. I plan on taking them to a friends and dipping them in acid, can I put the jets in acid as well?

Comment

Dipping in "acid"?
                        Don't go any stronger than carb cleaner. Berrymans works well.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Acid?!?! What kind of acid are you talking about? I have always had good luck with Berryman' s carb dip.

Comment

Thanks for the info, just got done dipping the last carb in berrymans. Decent stuff,just waiting for orings to put carbs back together,and tring to get rust out of the tank.

Comment

Check valve clearance. Classic symptom
                              1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                              sigpic
                              My GS550 Build

Comment

Working...
                              X