Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VM29mm smoothbores question about vacuum/overflow lines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM29mm smoothbores question about vacuum/overflow lines.

I am changing out my 26mm to the new 29mm and notice the 29's have a different fuel/vacuum/overflow tube configuration.

The fuel tube is obvious but there are two other tubes up further- one is on the left side and one on the right side. Does anyone know which one is vacuum and which one is overflow?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

They are both vents. You have to get creative if you want to run a vacuum petcock.

Comment

Thanks TeamDar.

Damn that sucks. I know a lot of people prefer to nix the vacuum petcock anyway, but i like it because i will inevitably forget to turn the darn thing off.

How creative will I need to get? Any Ideas how it may be doable?
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

How about pulling vacuum from one of the sync ports?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes that's the simplest. Just put a short brass tube on the #2 vacuum port (Z1 sells them or you can make your own) and your good to go.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

thanks guys i will check that out today
            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
            80 gs1000s

Comment

That is what I did except I just drilled a bolt with the correct thread size, cut off the head and used a jam nut to set the length then put my hose on it. It has been working fine since Apirl.
              1982 GS750EZ
              1978 GS750EC

Comment

Thanks guys. I have brass fittings in my carb sync kit, I can use the short one for it on the second carb. A mystery person from the west sent me a picture of how they did theirs.

I do have a question for both of you, what size main jets are you running with your vm29's? I have pods and 4-1. and am in texas.
                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                80 gs1000s

Comment

I have a Marving 4 into 1 and K&N pods with my 29's on my 78' 1000. Mains are 117.5 mikuni's with #25 pilots, using the 1.5 cutouts it came with. Can't remember where my mixtures screws are set but I can look if you want when I get home. Bike runs perfectly at all RPMs. I live at sea level though
                  Rob
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thank you Azr, I sure appreciate the fast response, good timing. These were on a bike from here in Texas, so I was hoping they were right. They are 117.5 mains and 17.5 pilots...so hoping that will be ok. Getting ready to sync them in a few minutes after I do a little refresher on Basscliffs site.
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      How about pulling vacuum from one of the sync ports?
                      Aren't the sync ports on the carb outlet? No problem with using an air/fuel mixture to read vacuum? Obviously you sync with this mixture but is sending this behind the petcock diaphragm OK?
                      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

To be honest I don't understand what I just read Jordan. Hopefully some of the smarter guys that have vm 29mm will chime in and answer you.

I tried to sync them and found that I needed to block off the two breather hoses with golf tees in order to get any reading out of the carb sync gauges. I also had 3 carbs draining fuel out of the bottom and realized that they were all missing the bowl gaskets. z1 is out but will find some on fleabay.
                        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                        80 gs1000s

Comment

The sync ports are on the intake manifolds..the allen head screws at about a 45 degree at the bottom of the intakes.

In Gregs case, making a vac nipple and inserting it in the manifold will be of no consequence..its blocked off when the bike is running via the petcock is blocking it from being an open vacuum.

Secondly, when he does the sync and puts the carbtune on, hes gonna be using a gravity bottle so there isnt any need to block any ports off. Its a win win for Greg.

All he needs is an adapter and run the vacuum from the sync port to the petcock..done.

I would go off carb intake 1..easy to get at.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That's very odd that you had to block off the 2 vents tubes on the carbs to get the vacuum synch to work, I'm thinking there is something amiss inside the carbs. I haven't synched mine for a year or more but pretty sure I didn't need to do that. I'm wondering if there are some more parts missing inside the carb bodies that just float bowl gaskets.
                            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                              Aren't the sync ports on the carb outlet? No problem with using an air/fuel mixture to read vacuum? Obviously you sync with this mixture but is sending this behind the petcock diaphragm OK?
                              The vacuum ports that are being refered to are on the cylinder head, the ones you use to vacuum synch your carbs. There is no vacuum port on 29mm smoothbores, unlike on the stock 26mm VM carbs where there is one on carb body number 3.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X