1982 GS550L stripped and stuck jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550L stripped and stuck jet

Does anyone have any tips for getting a stuck jet out of a 1982 gs550l carb?

I purchased the set from ebay and it was in pretty rough shape. I've cleaned and rebuilt 3 of them and they are looking really nice, however one of the jets in the last carb (one of the very small ones, right next to the main jet) the head of the jet is was totally gone. I've run into this on another jet and we used an easy out to get it out and it worked fine. On this jet, however, we tried that and the easy out broke off! So now, I'm kind of stuck and hoping for any tips.

Alternatively, does anyone have one carb from an 82 550l lying around that they'd want to donate or sell? Or do you know where I might buy one?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

what I did on a stuck jet I had was I used a drill bit that was just a bit bigger than the inside diameter of the jet and used that as an easyout. it worked better IMO because it didn't cause the brass to expand as much as an ez-out will. you can also soak the carb for a bit and apply some heat from a heat gun to get the metal to expand.

Comment

And if you use a left handed drill bit the jet is likely to unscrew itself when the bit gets stuck in it.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
      X