carb starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb starting problem

hi .im just putting my gs750b back together.ive stripped the carbs .no problems clean.and it will not start.fuel is getting to the float bowls but not the engine.turning over but no fuel on spark plugs ....help

Originally posted by s watson View Post
    ive stripped the carbs . fuel is getting to the float bowls but not the engine.
    If this is true the carburetors are not truly clean.
    How do you know the fuel isn't getting there?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If you only looked in the carbs and possible spritzed some spray around, they are NOT clean. Time to take them off and do them right.

Two other items that will prevent starting are improper technique and mis-adjusted valves.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Scroll down on the right side and find the CARB REBUILD tutorials. You dont say what year and I would ASSUME a 77 or 78??? If so then you want the VM tutorial.

1 oring kit from our member Robert Barr does the full rack. And see the parts about intake orings and order them as well. New bowl gaskets will be in order as well.

1 can of Berrymans from Walmart to soak them..full 24 hrs per body. Take the plastic basket out and you can do 2 bodies at the same time in there.

And the starting procedure is as follows. Full choke. DO NOT twist the throttle and hit the button. Twisting the throttle ruins the vacuum in the venturis and she will not fire or get fuel.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

ive now bought new carb to air box boots ..these are nice and soft and fit very well .not like my old ones which were hard. and did not fit well.im going to fit all new jets .and set to factury specs.i live in the uk whats the best make of jets to buy..many thanks for your help .

Comment

...Mikuni... but old jets was not your problem.

Comment

hi tkent02 ..what do you think was my problem was as I have not try to start it yet .many thanks

Comment

Can you give us a rundown on how you cleaned your carbs? A visual inspection does not guarantee anything internal is actually clean and allowing fuel to be drawn through to the combustion chambers.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

You biggest problem is you sentences are unintelligible.

Comment

What bothers me is we are still at the same problem as in post 1. Then we linked the rebuild tutorial and we arent seeing anything stating that ws done..and we are still at the original problem. Dont figure.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

hi bigd-83...I took the carbs off the bike.stripped them .and visible checked them they were clean after putting the carbs back on. tried to start it .will not start. fuel is at the float bowls.but not being drawn through which makes me think its a vacuum problem.. many thanks

Comment

​your carbs are clogged up!!!!!!! Go back to post 4 and follow the links i added..is that plain english enough for you to understand??????????

Comment

Just curious if you've checked for spark?
                          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Hi watson,
                            These guys are suggesting that you thoroughly clean the carbs, not just inspect them. The tutorial that was linked to provided great instructions for me. Only differences I found on the GS750B carbs were the need to remove the tops to pull out the throttle shaft and I'm pretty sure our carbs don't have a spring on the pilot fuel screw. I used electronic duster normally used to clean computer keyboards since I don't have an air compressor. After soaking in the carb dip, I cleaned every passageway I could find with the carb cleaner. Then I used the compressed air to blow every passageway. On one carb, I had a piece of debris fly out. That one blockage could cause the carb not to function properly, and I may have never seen it if I haven't dipped, then cleaned, the blew out the carbs.

I'm learning that carbs don't break. You either have incorrect size jets or a clog somewhere. Even with the wrong jets, the bike should idle poorly, or at least try to start. Lack of vacuum as you describe points to a clog that's preventing the motor's vacuum from reaching the fuel bowl.
                            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by s watson View Post
                              hi bigd-83...I took the carbs off the bike.stripped them .and visible checked them they were clean after putting the carbs back on. tried to start it .will not start. fuel is at the float bowls.but not being drawn through which makes me think its a vacuum problem.. many thanks
                              Not to thwack you with too big a stick, but the previous advice is most likely correct. With these bikes, there is no shortcut. You should pull the carbs again, and clean them as in the tutorial. It's not likely to be a vacuum problem, and most likely to be clogged passages in the body of the carb; you will not be able to gauge that just by looking at the shine inside the float bowls. After that, if you are still not getting fuel through the carbs then you should start investigating other problems.
                              Last edited by BigD_83; 07-14-2015, 02:58 PM. Reason: fixed a run-on sentence
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X