Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alky, Nitro[gen], Valves and Carb[uretor]s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alky, Nitro[gen], Valves and Carb[uretor]s.

I just had a rather disturbing experience. I've used lots of different gas and never got too fussed about it as long as it didn't ping. I picked up a GS400X a year ago and found it to be more fussy than the two valvers I used to run, but then it's a 10:1 four valve head so, despite the 'Twin Swirls', it's still supposed to have 91 octane gas.

My riding buddy [SV650] is a Shell guy and was raving about the [placebo?] effect of the new Nitro+ 91 that just came out. There's all the usual hype about Extra Cleaning Power and other mumbo jumbo about nitrogen. I decided to try it out. It ran quite well, but the next day my bike only fired one cylinder and then jammed. I put it in gear and rolled it a bit and then tried again. It started, but only on one cylinder and made a clatter for a bit and eventually calmed down.

I couldn't explain that, other than that maybe my gas tap leaked and a float chamber had overfilled and hydraulically seized one cylinder, but what about the clatter? I checked the tap and it was fine, no leak when off. I wrote it off to random fluke, but the next day it happened again. I filled it again with another brand and things seemed okay but after another tank of Nitro+ it did the same thing several times. The sense I got from it, now that I was in forensic mode, was that an intake valve was sticking open after sitting overnight. This seemed odd considering the motor has about 35,000 miles on it and should have loosened enough.

I pulled a plug and it was white and the rim and barrel looked scoured. Usually there is some sort of light tan deposit but this was just too clean. This is a plug with probably ten thousand miles on it and no beauty. Most gas has some alcohol in it and that tends to run lean and clean, but this was more so.

I ran it low and put Chevron 94 [no alcohol, so the pump says] and it's like back in the old days. The harshness that used to come in when it was over 6500 is now gone and the motor seems to run cooler. I'd never bothered to use 94 because it's overkill for octane, and I never subscribed to brand loyalty with gas - although Chevron never let me down, yet - but I'm thinking that just not having the ethanol is a big plus. As Jay Leno says….

We can't expect the oil companies to go very far out of their way to make people with carburetors happy. The government and the corn farmers come before us, and they already pay attention to density to keep our float levels right and keep the volatility within limits that fuel injection wouldn't notice. But it's inevitable that adding alcohol will lead to leanness, and that's going to make for hotter combustion. Sure, alcohol will run cooler from an evaporation standpoint but there's seemingly only enough in there to screw up your mixture. How much different should the main jet be for 5% alcohol? 10% alcohol? I can do a back of the envelope and come up with about one main jet size and maybe a nudge of the needle. IOW a 5% alky mix would lean you by about 2.5% which would mean a 1.00mm jet should be about 1.0125 [the orifice size changes as the square of the diameter] which seems negligible unless you're already on the edge of lean. At 10% you're going to need a whole jet size up to compensate. Or a water cooled, fuel injected motor with an oxygen sensor.

But the only explanation I have for the valve thing is that whatever is in this Shell gas is eating the oil off my intake valve stems and guides as fast as the oil feed from above can replace it. Intake valves don't have the luxury of getting ring/cylinder wall oil castoffs to live on. All an intake valve sees is gasoline and whatever can stay on the stem after passing the seal. Alcohol is known to wash oil films off all too well, which is why alcohol fuelled motors used to use castor bean oil, and lots of it, which adheres really well.

I'm not sure if the gas is the culprit, but I'm wondering if the Shell engineers just got too carried away with engine cleaning technology.
    '82 GS450T

Two separate tanks of this fuel did the same thing? Good enough for me, I won't buy any until you figure it out.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Could also be a bad batch of fuel at that station. Too much water maybe.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Two separate tanks of this fuel did the same thing? Good enough for me, I won't buy any until you figure it out.
        This is the sort of thing I usually like to disregard, but being a new product I feel better about warning people to let the beta testers do their thing. After all, we lived without it up to now. Shell had a big problem around here - class action lawsuit - when they left out the additive that keeps the in tank fuel pumps happy. There was a huge rash of fuel pump failures on replacement pumps that they finally traced down to Shell, and they admitted culpability. Of course, they only paid for the pumps and not the installation as I recall.

There's also the possibility it could be a coincidence, and it's something else that is causing the problem, but I just felt that maybe whatever is in this isn't compatible with old air cooled carburetor bikes. I haven't been able to find out what the nitrogen plus ingredient is, either. Meanwhile I'll just use Chevron 94 which the bike seems really happy about.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Could also be a bad batch of fuel at that station. Too much water maybe.
          Two different stations.
          '82 GS450T

Comment

What's with all the cleaning crap anyway? Modern engines stay clean as a whistle inside without any of this crap.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, it looks like it's not just me. My riding buddy - the Shell fan - says his bike locked up yesterday just like mine did. He's hoping that it will start this morning so we can go for a ride. He had to push it to free it up yesterday.

He's riding a carburetor version SV650. It's got about 15k miles on it and is very well maintained.

I'm suspecting that somebody slipped a decimal point when they were adding the 'magic ingredient' and this is isolated to British Columbia. If it's inherent in the New! Improved! Nitro+ gas then Shell has a problem, but that's just not possible. Presumably they tested it…...

As I said before, I don't like to diss a brand or start a panic, but I feel obliged to give a hedzup in this case as it's a new product and uncharted territory.
              '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
              X