Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP/ADVISE please. 1983 GS650L carb/jet/pod size??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP/ADVISE please. 1983 GS650L carb/jet/pod size??

I'm new here and new to the GS world. I recently Purchased an 83 Suzuki GS650L bobber project. non-running I plan to start by rebuilding carbs and re jetting them, the air box is gone so I was gonna do pods but have heard some negative things about them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rebuilding carbs is high on the list, along with valve adjustment and checking the electrical system.

Jetting, however will depend on a few things.
    1. What pods do you plan to use? Quality pods, like K&N or APE cost a bit more, but are worth the money. Cheap pods, like EMGO, are sketchy, at best, and will require different jetting.
    2. Do you plan to 'bob' the exhaust? That will also require different jetting and will affect the amount of help I am willing to provide.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

[QUOTE=Steve;2204820]Rebuilding carbs is high on the list, along with valve adjustment and checking the electrical system.

Jetting, however will depend on a few things.
      1. What pods do you plan to use? Quality pods, like K&N or APE cost a bit more, but are worth the money. Cheap pods, like EMGO, are sketchy, at best, and will require different jetting.
      2. Do you plan to 'bob' the exhaust? That will also require different jetting and will affect the amount of help I am willing to provide.

1. Have not purchased any pods yet, was trying to figure out what size I need. I'm really open to suggestions. I do not want to use cheap "crap" however on a budget as I have other projects.

2. the exhaust is cut just before mufflers, was gonna heat wrap and leave them like that

Comment

Originally posted by Green Envy View Post
        1. Have not purchased any pods yet, was trying to figure out what size I need. I'm really open to suggestions. I do not want to use cheap "crap" however on a budget as I have other projects.

2. the exhaust is cut just before mufflers, was gonna heat wrap and leave them like that
        1. I would have to measure a carb to see what size pods you would need, but K&N pods are about $150 or so, and APE pods are about $60. The EMGO cheapies are all over eBay for about $25. Keep in mind that the first two are cleanable and re-useable, the EMGOs are paper filters that are disposable and need to be replaced when they get dirty.
        2. Open exhaust? Sorry, my help stops right here.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          2. Open exhaust? Sorry, my help stops right here.

But Steve, he has no clue how to ride! He is at the mercy of any errant minivan who crosses his path, as he cannot steer. His only hope is for the loud pipes to save his life!
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tom, I am going to save him even more by keeping him off the road in the first place.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Green Envy, I just switched from a V&H 4-1 exhaust to a Delkevic Stainless Steel 4-1 system with a lot more back pressure. I gained power across the power band. Where you cut your exhaust, effectively ends your project because if you could get any help with it you will never get it running right period. The plans for opened exhaust ensures that everyone that hears you will learn just that much more hate for motorcycles and we will be the ones that suffer. Add in a plan for an exhaust with reasonable back pressure = less noise and the design capabilities of the motor will be able to handle pods and as a bonus you will get all the help you need to complete your project.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Ok I haven't even been able to start bike so I wasn't sure how loud it would be, I understand the back pressure, issue and like I said I'm open to ideas/ suggestions. Bike has been bobbed and hard tailed already so I'm going in that direction as far as design. My last few bikes have been fuel injected, so slap on a slip on pipe, K&N filter and sprockets and done. This is a whole new world to me

Comment

Working...
                X