Carb rebuild kit - '85 GS450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb rebuild kit - '85 GS450L

I'm prepping to rebuild the carbs on my bike and I am wondering who is the best source for a rebuild kit that doesn't charge outrageous shipping?

Thanks!

DONT BUY KITS

Orings..1 kit does the full rack

450 specific tutorial..certain years only....

CV tutorial...
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks Chuck.

Comment

Remember that Robert Barr is out for a little bit on vacation so you'll want to be patient with him on the orings.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Just be easy removing the float needle seats. Tthey are soft brass. Dont grip them with pliers and squeeze them out of round. Best bet is to use some thin jawwed needle nose pliers and come in from the side and grip low. Use just enough squeeze that you can get the seats to turn. Turn gently and pry up at the same time. Little squirt of oil will help once the seal is broke.

Just be sure to not get them out of round....if they do the needles will hang up or not even go back in and cause lots of unneeded grief.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Just be easy removing the float needle seats. Tthey are soft brass. Dont grip them with pliers and squeeze them out of round. Best bet is to use some thin jawwed needle nose pliers and come in from the side and grip low. Use just enough squeeze that you can get the seats to turn. Turn gently and pry up at the same time. Little squirt of oil will help once the seal is broke.

Just be sure to not get them out of round....if they do the needles will hang up or not even go back in and cause lots of unneeded grief.
            I have a specialty pair of needle nose that I use for crafting that should be perfect for the job.

Comment

Cool...you squish a seat and youll be less than happy..ask me how I know. LOL Actually, in an ideal situation, if you can get it up just a little you can use a real tiny flat blade screw driver between the carb body and the seat shoulder to lever them up.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Cool...you squish a seat and youll be less than happy..ask me how I know. LOL Actually, in an ideal situation, if you can get it up just a little you can use a real tiny flat blade screw driver between the carb body and the seat shoulder to lever them up.
                I will gently get them up and delicately use a tiny flat blade to finish the job without squishing them .

Comment

Where can I buy gaskets?
                  Also I have a rebuild kit my buddy had laying around from when he had an xs650. They have the same carbs so is it sage to assume they would work?

Comment

You don't need rebuild kits- the metal jets, etc don't wear out. You need new o-rings for carbs like this member sells

you'll also need the washer under the fuel inlet valves- the xs650 kit might have those
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X