Intake boots angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake boots angle

Well I discovered something as I was reinstalling my carbs yesterday, apparently when I replace the old carb boots and orings on the bike last year (first thing I did on the bike) I did not pay attention to the angle that they were at. I had 2 on the left side that were sitting vertical and 2 on the right were at an angle. Looking at it what made sense to me was having them at an angle. But after Installing it just did not feel right so I pulled them after taking a couple pictures and pulled up the repair manual and I still could not find an answer. Hoping someone here knows how they are supposed to go.

Someone must know - where are they? You are taliking about boots here - between carb and cylinder head, right?? Your engine cleaniless is impressive.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not really seeing your issue in your photo, but There should be an "L" and "R" marking on each boot to designate left from right, and the marking should be right side up when installed.
      1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
      sigpic
      My GS550 Build

Comment

Replacement boots are one part number. You just flip the boot over when used on the other side. If you still have the original boots then do as 8ball mentioned and put the L's on the left and the R's on the right like you were sitting on the bike with the letters L and R facing up.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Someone must know - where are they? You are taliking about boots here - between carb and cylinder head, right?? Your engine cleaniless is impressive.
          Ha its not that clean...looks better in the pic

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Replacement boots are one part number. You just flip the boot over when used on the other side. If you still have the original boots then do as 8ball mentioned and put the L's on the left and the R's on the right like you were sitting on the bike with the letters L and R facing up.
          As far as left and right they are on the proper side. I know it is a little hard to see in the picture but if you look at the clamps on the intake boots they lean like this \, not to that extent but slightly. Now if I flip them, move the hole that is on the low side to the high side it looks more like this |. I am guessing that is the way they should be just looking for verification. I will get better picture once I am off work.

Comment

They should all be at the same angle and the opening should be vertical.

sigpic
            My GS550 Build

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
              They should all be at the same angle and the opening should be vertical.

Ok that where my thinking is going. My initial thought was that possibly they should be at an angle to offset the engine angle and keep the carbs at a more level angle but as I look at it now I see that is already accomplished.

Many thanks.

Its just them simple things, missed one step when I tore it down for the very first time and did not even think about it. Just one of those things that I need to remember to check everything and pull my head out of the 4th point of contact.

Comment

Oh, and BTW, you have a loose screw on the diaphragm cap on top of the #4 carb....

sigpic
                My GS550 Build

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                  Oh, and BTW, you have a loose screw on the diaphragm cap on top of the #4 carb....

Not the only screw loose...haha yeah it does appear that way, I will have to double check.

Comment

Working...
                  X