Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Suzuki GS850G Petcock clip

Hey guys,

I done goofed. Was pulling the fuel petcock apart, and i took off the handle and removed the nylon cylinder inside. When I twisted it out, I bent up the small metal clip in there pretty bad, was wondering if anyone could tell me how I need to bend it back, or show a diagram with what that clip is supposed to do? I put the carb together without it in there, but the vacuum diaphragm no longer seals (makes it kind of hard to put the tank back on the bike, lol )

Save yourself a lot of time, trouble, and heartache. Order a new one, and you'll be good to go for another 30+ years.

Comment

Yeah you're probably right. Was just trying to repair it instead of replace it, kinda broke atm, lol.

Comment

I may have a spare new one, if it's the same you can have it for the price of the postage. My GS850 is a 1981 so it may be same.
        I'll dig it out and post a pic.
        Sorry, just walked out in the cold (5 degrees) and found the old one, the new I thought was a Suzuki is actually a BSA one.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I went ahead and bit the bullet, and purchased a new one. Hopefully it makes it here before this weekend, as I'm supposed to be selling it! haha, but since I don't see much information on this piece anywhere, I'll take pictures for science

Comment

Did you ever figure out how this clip goes? I have the same issue!

Comment

Originally posted by dackcommabig View Post
              Did you ever figure out how this clip goes? I have the same issue!
              Then do as the OP did and buy yourself a new petcock. Repairs have a very low success rate and new petcocks are still available at decent prices.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

This is the best picture that I have. Just click on it.

V

valves 026.jpg
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

That's a decent picture. It could take hours describing it ...but whatever-There's only one way it works-with the 90 degree bend facing inward so when petcock is turned to prime, it pushes against the diaphragm's button ,disabling the effect of the "back-spring" on the other side of the diaphragm.... you can suck and blow through the ports as a preliminary test before trying with gas in the fuel line on the bench ...Your luck at fixing it will depend on the other parts still being serviceable...if you've already been tweaking on the back-spring, then you have made it far more difficult. But getting Prime to work ,at the least, is easier than getting the "vacuum-activation" to work properly.

Comment

Working...
                  X