Where to start? 82 gs650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grassigrass View Post
    I'm pretty sure the white smoke is gas that's not getting burned off. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not really sure how it works but that's what I've been told
    This makes sense. Black smoke is burned fuel, but white could be unburned gasoline. I had a leaky petcock like you. After a spin around the block, I got a bit of white smoke. Pulled the plugs and they were black but not wet. I also drained the oil that day, and yesterday I emptied the oil pan into an old oil bottle. The oil definitely smelled like gasoline and the mixture was way too thin and runny (almost like water and not thick like used oil usually is).
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Let me guess, the bike sat on the side stand for a decade or so?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Let me guess, the bike sat on the side stand for a decade or so?
        is this what causes petcocks to fail?

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
          This makes sense. Black smoke is burned fuel, but white could be unburned gasoline. I had a leaky petcock like you.
          So you replaced the petcock and that solved your problem? I don't know if my petcock is actually leaky or if the spark plugs/wires are shot and just not firing. Thus making white smoke because the gas is still coming but not getting burned. And then it's getting into my oil. I Haven't had a chance to look it over yet (in the middle of a move) but how do I test to make sure my spark plugs are working/coil is working. And ignitor test? I'm going to replace the plugs either today or tomorrow so I can rule those out but my spark plug cable or coil could be shot too?

Comment

"these bikes (the 650s) have been dropping ignitors left and right in recent years."

Not the ignitor found on shaftiesi... I've had 5 in my collection and all tested perfect - i ran them on my bike for 1/2 hour each. Bad charging system (high voltage )will probably cook them, but most charging tends to fail to low side.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Grassigrass View Post
              is this what causes petcocks to fail?
              No, they just fail when they don't get used for ten or twenty years. Then they leak, just a little bit. When someone parks the bike, the fuel evaporates out of the right two carburetors and they stay dry, but the leaking petcock keeps refilling the left two, since on the side stand they are on the down hill end of the passages that bring fuel across to all four carbs. The gasoline that turns into the dried old crap keeps getting replenished, the left two get more and more crap in the bottom of them. After a few years this crap turns to varnish, and it ain't coming out without a proper carburetor cleaning.

Replace the petcock.
              Clean the carburetors.
              Read up on all of the other systems that need periodic maintenance, and which can hurt you seriously if it is not done.

Like wheel bearings, tires, brakes, steering head, forks, shocks, the whole electrical system and pretty much all of the other parts of the motorcycle.

Restoring a bike that's been sitting and making it safe to ride again is a lot of work.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Old age failure! There is a flimsy diaphragm inside petcock that sits in gas. So after 30 years,best to get new. Like this

that guy also sells another version with very little reserve capacity
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Replaced the petcock today, it's been a long time since I've been able to work with the bike sadly.. But carbs are next!

Comment

Got into the bike again today, just tried to clean it up a bit so that it doesn't look I was playing with oil all day long. also the PO put on some after market signals and the wiring is all rigged together. my plan is to replace most of the electrical (signals, tail light, headlight maybe, speedo and all the gauges). Since the PO made a mess I'm just taking everything apart as I go. Hope this plan doesn't cause too much of a problem when putting the thing back together. The turn signals never flashed properly anyways so they're gone.

Comment

Winter is the ideal time to correct stuff- unless you have other pursuits to distract you!
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Got the carbs apart from each other. There's still a few parts that need to be taken off.. I've gone as far as the pilot screw and its little pieces out. Gonna be working on it here and there every night. Still dreading the thought of putting it back together... Spent a lot of time trying to clean up the outside with soap and water and a tooth brush. Even though the PO said carbs have been done, I don't think this bikes been cleaned since it came off the line

Comment

" Even though the PO said carbs have been done, "

He probably meant that they were "done for" .
                          Insides need to be clean- outsides is purely cosmetic, mine look their age, but function as intended.
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Is there a site to purchase new screws suuuch as carb cover screws? Without paying $2.95 per screw.. I may have stripped a few but with vice grips everything comes out. I'd really like to replace them with hex heads like I did for the intake boots. http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...uretor-model-z ..... This site has Them but like I said nearly $3 per screw and if I replace one I'd like to do them all..

Comment

Also the second I took the carbs off you could see yellow film over the airbox side of carb.. Can't wait to dip these things

Comment

You should be able to get the screws at your local fastenal or ace hardware

Comment

Working...
                                X