Gas getting into the oil - '82 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas getting into the oil - '82 GS1100E

I have an '82 GS1100E I just picked up and started riding. Just yesterday I got her inspected. It's my first motorcycle - very clean and pretty to look at - especially for her age, so I was naturally very excited to ride around and get a little speed. Also, as a disclaimer, I don't want to pretend like I'm an expert at being a motorcycle mechanic. I'm a total newbie to being a motorcycle mechanic.

When I got the bike I changed the oil, and I noticed gas with the oil and more fluid draining than should from this motorcycle (~5 liters; I was expecting 3.4 or so). Then I realized that I was leaving the fuel petcock on "PRI" which I assumed was "OFF" because it was faded and the cycle I learned on had On, Off, and RES. This one has ON, RES, and PRI. It's okay now, I learned not to leave it on PRI.

But I changed the oil and thought that if it were leaking from my leaving the PRI switch on then I'd see the level stay constant - otherwise I'd see it rise if it were leaking from something else.

For a few days the oil level stayed constant, but I only took the bike around town. After driving it into work today the level is back up. I should mention that today I drove the engine at higher RPMs than I had previously (5k+)

At the end of the ride today the oil level was noticeably higher and darker. It seems to me from the evidence stated above that something is allowing oil to leak into the crankcase at higher RPMs. That or it was just a matter of time before I noticed a difference.

Anyway, I'm looking for resources for diagnosing the problem. Having gasoline in your oil seems serious to me, but maybe it's a simple fix you guys have heard of? I'm thinking some gasket in the engine perhaps? Maybe valves are worn? Any help is much appreciated.

Lots of threads on similar issues. Here's one that should get you going.

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Take the hose off the carbs and see if the petcock is flowing in the on and reserve position. Vacuum actuated petcocks should only flow if the engine is running or set on prime.

Oh yeah, welcome to GSR.
      :cool:GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Dont waste money on rebuild kits..they are maybe 30% effective..if that. Monies wasted on kits should go toward a new OEM petcock.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

common wisdom and experience of the collective usually attributes that to a bad petcock.

Personally I would spend $50.00 or so on a new petcock and leave the problem behind you, plus get a new petcock that will keep you worry free for years/decades.

sean

Comment

In my 7+ years here I can not recall anybody ever crowing about a wonderful petcock rebuild kit.

Comment

Gas can't get into the oil while riding the bike. When the oil gets hot it expands, thus you need to check the oil when the engine is cold. Also, you need to have the bike on the center stand with the bike parked on level ground in order to check the oil properly.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm 0-3 on rebuilds. I just use a lawn mower style inline fuel tap. ($8 at ACE) Have you seen the price for a new petcock for a '78 1000, when you can find one? BikeBandit has it listed at $299.31, it must be made of gold. '81 1000G, $93.42. Except for the output locations, they are identical.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Gas can't get into the oil while riding the bike. When the oil gets hot it expands, thus you need to check the oil when the engine is cold. Also, you need to have the bike on the center stand with the bike parked on level ground in order to check the oil properly.
                  That may only apply to some bikes, you may get a false reading. The center stand tilts the bike forward or back and isn't level, and most bikes don't have center stands anymore. Only bikes like my FZ6 still come with them and that manual calls for the bike to be on it's wheels and upright.

BTW, none of my 1100s have a center stand.
                  Last edited by gsrick; 07-24-2015, 09:47 PM.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by nicolettijd View Post
                    I have an '82 GS1100E .
                    Welcome to the EZBoyez club and the GSRs !! If I have ever left the petcock on PRI and got gas in the oil I just drain it and refill. Im getting oil for just over a buck a qt. Nothing else to add except keep the oil level between the lines and ride..........

Oh.....Red or Silver ? Picture ?
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Rick..get a 77 / 78 750 petcock. Same EXACT petcock except the vac and fuel nipples face differently than the 78 1000 ones...and 1/3 the price as a 78 1000 petcock. Lines hook up without any problems and youre rolling again.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Rick..get a 77 / 78 750 petcock. Same EXACT petcock except the vac and fuel nipples face differently than the 78 1000 ones...and 1/3 the price as a 78 1000 petcock. Lines hook up without any problems and youre rolling again.
                        Eric told me about that. When I take Suzy off the road for her second and this time full resto, I may get one. Besides my inline valve doubles as a theft device when I tuck in in out of site. You wont get a half mile before it start to starve. Sometime I forget to open it when I'm in a hurry.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                          Sometime I forget to open it when I'm in a hurry.
                          and forgetting to close it would be worse.....
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Photos

Thanks for the huge response! And so fast. I also opted to change the oil before running it further.

Because it was requested here's a set of photos of the bike.
                            20150726_072347.jpg

Comment

20150726_080827.jpg She's in pretty good condition - like someone really tried to care for her carefully. Many parts are brand new, and nothing looks to be worn out.

Comment

Working...
                              X