No announcement yet.

Gas getting into the oil - '82 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20150726_080838.jpg Isn't that an aftermarket exhaust? I'm not certain if the previous owner re-balanced the carbs when this was installed.

Comment

20150726_084734.jpgAnd I just noticed this little gem - 3 pipes with white soot and one with black carbon buildup. Looks like I need to check the plugs and electrical system. I *hope* it's not a carburetor thing.

Comment

I always include a carb rebuild as part of the standard maintenance when purchasing a new to me bike. Valve adjustment is first then a carb rebuild and sync. Really not worth chasing your tail until you done what's probably needed to be done for the last 30 years.

Go here and you'll find a ton of information. The carb rebuild tutorial is here. Here's the valve adjustment procedure for your bike.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I agree..act like nothing was ever done. Do all the maintenance, rebuild the carbs with the full dipping and new orings, check petcock for leakage, new oil and filter etc etc.

This will make finding any carb fuel to air ratio problems much much easier when yiou get to tuning it.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-26-2015, 11:41 AM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

So again, just to be clear, gas can not enter the oil while the engine is running. Maybe I'm not understand the situation correctly about the high oil level, but any extra gas that is flowing toward the carbs must pass through the cylinder and past the rings before it can get into the oil, and this can not happen while combustion is occurring.

Regarding checking the oil level, the bike must be upright and on straight/flat ground before you can do this. Suzuki specifies a cold engine and with the bike on the centerstand. Since the centerstand has been removed from this bike good luck. You are almost sure to get measurement error trying to properly gauge the oil level. And remember, oil expands when hot, so hot oil level is always higher than cold oil level.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nice looking bike, and I dig that Youhimura exhaust- yes, its aftermarket.
              You should also verify that the jetting in the carbs has been changed to compenate for the exhaust. Others here are far more knowledgable in that regard then I am.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That's an aftermarket exhaust, alright. And I don't think much if anything needs to be done to the carbs when installing a 4-into-1. Pods are a different matter - rejetting required.

Welcome to the 1100EZ club!

PS I think it's recommended to remove the air box lid, under the seat, when installing 4-into-1 pipes. As far as I know, on this particular model, that's the only mod to the intake.
                Last edited by Rob S.; 07-26-2015, 12:26 PM.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

First thing I would do when going to a 4 into 1 is put new plugs in it and run it about 100 miles or so and then check the plugs. Some regular condition riding will show up on the new plugs as to how rich or lean she is acting inside the jugs. Cheap start off point BEFORE throwing parts and more money at it.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks all, much appreciated. I'm planning a carb-rebuild once I have a good space to do so.

Valve adjustment also sounds like a must from all the posts I've read. I'll start there, and new plugs, too, since that's pretty easy to do anyway.

Comment

Do the valves first before you do the final carb sync. The valve adjustment does effect the carb synchronization.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Okay, first off, valves were adjusted and the bike runs much better. She used to vibrate quite terribly and lose a lot of power around 65 mph. The vibration is way down, and power delivery is pretty smooth even on the top end She's not perfect yet, but that was obviously a necessary step. How often should I have to do that to the bike moving forward?

She still idles high after being run a while. She still seems to be a little lean in running. I'll at least need to balance the carbs, if not rebuild them. I'll plan on rebuilding them once I move to another apartment and hopefully have a better location to do it.

I think all my gas in oil problems stemmed from leaving the petcock in the prime position. It hasn't been having the same issue yet.

And I didn't know to look when I bought it, but she seems to have some rust in the gas tank - which can lead to all sorts of issues, I hear.

Comment

Also rebuilt the carb, and performed a rough bench sync. Still need to do the dynamic sync. I'm going to replace a few gaskets along the way while I'm at it. I would much appreciate any pointers on dismantling the engine to get at the head and base gaskets.

Also, I found out that my exhaust pipe colouring (see pics) were explained by a faulty petcock, and my R/R was fried, and it looks like my battery is questionable.

She needed a whole lot of work.

Comment

Working...
                          X