Gasket Under Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket Under Petcock

My 81 1100 came with a tank that had a lever-less petcock that had a gasket between the tank and the petcock, plus the normal o-ring. The gasket had obviously leaked at some point. The tank was dry when I got the bike, and I'm not quite ready to put gas in the tank yet, plus it will surely leak again anyway. I have a new petcock and o-ring on the way, but the parts breakdown on Babbitts does not show any gasket. Should there be one? This thing looks like it could have been a home made attempt to fix a leaky o-ring.
    gas tank gasket.jpg

Every petcock I have ordered included a gasket (o-ring) ...but I have not ordered one for your model. None have looked like the one in your thumbnail.
    Last edited by BigD_83; 07-25-2015, 12:55 AM.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

No there's not supposed to be a gasket there, just the o-ring. Must have been a repair job of some kind. Clean it up well and hopefully the metal is ok ynder that gasket.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Don't over tighten it. I've had 2 bikes with those crummy petcocks. I've removed them from both bikes for a couple of reasons. The bolts weren't very tight on either one of them and neither one of them ever leaked.
        1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Sand the area clean of all that paint curlings and rust. Inspect where the petcock will seat for pitting that may cause a leak. If there is some pitting, skim it with some JB Weld and sand it with a s flat sanding block to make a new seating surface.

And remember the bolts get the dowty washers on them so fuel doesnt migrate down the threads and cause a leak that way .
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I did not know about the Dowty washers, but I know plenty now after searching the threads here. My guess is the petcock was put on without new Dowty washers, then it leaked, then someone tried to fix it by adding the gasket, which made it worse. I'll find some new Dowty washers or just pick up a tube of Hylomar.

Comment

Washers are #6 here....same washers for all bikes.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ace hardware sells these washers for about 35 cents each- they are marked for 1/4 inch id but they work fine on 6 mm too!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yep, Home Depot has them as well:

and no, they wont dissolve or melt. I've used them for years with no deterioration.
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

My local Suzuki dealer has those Dowty washers for $1.75 each. Never rule out your local dealer for OEM parts! The price difference is often negligible, plus they've got to send their kids to the dentist occasionally too. I've been running into the guy there for 35 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X