Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike is going back together

after a long time sitting.

Have a couple of questions for those who have been through this before.

1) I got the carbs back on today with the stock air box and now I need to know the correct way to route the clutch cable. Does it go between carb 1 and 2 or should it be off the outside of #1?

2) I acquired a stock exhaust last fall and am almost ready to put it on. It appears as though a PO must have broken off 2 of the bolts and it looks to me like he replaced them with 3/8" bolts. I guess after re-boring the holes in the head and re-tapping them. My question is how should I attack this problem? I could just enlarge the holes in the two flanges and put the oversized bolts into the head that way. Or the other way would require more work but I would have to use an insert of some kind.

It would be nice to have all the bolts the same size but is the extra work worth it ?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Larry
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Clutch cable between 1 and 2. The time to fix the bolts is when the head is off, or at least the engine is out. If it's already back together you are pretty much stuck with whatever size he used. You want to use new studs though, old heat cycled bolts tend to break off. Use anti seize on them too.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I can do this, it just means I will have to enlarge the holes on the 2 flanges, no big deal I guess.

Thanks for your input.

Larry
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Working...
      X