Aftermarket Header Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Header Pipes

Hopefully someone who has replaced exhaust with aftermarket could answer this question. What's the trick to keeping the copper exhaust gaskets in the head when fitting the pipes? These new pipes aren't exactly a perfect fit and I'm just mocking up the pipes to the head and it seems with all the maneuvering that the gaskets won't stay in the head. A little sticky grease maybe?

The stock gaskets are not copper, but the method should be about the same.

Yes, a dab or two of grease will hold them in place while you get the pipes into place.

Yeah, it's going to smoke a bit when you start it and it gets hot, so make sure you are in a well-ventilated area.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. I figured the grease would hold them, I just didn't know if it would cause any other issues besides smoking a bit.

Comment

You will find the pipes an excellent fit once you get the collars loosely screwed on. I used a dead blow hammer to peck everything in place and overcome the spring pressure so nothing got marred. Forgot to mention the grease. I use dielectric grease for things like that including holding the filter gasket in place at oil changes. Remember your pipe will hang out a bit because you have an "L" frame but the headers should seat perfectly. These pipes do not have a flimsy flange at the end to seal the gasket but are bolstered the length of the head recess. That's why I also told you it took about five heating cycles to draw them all the way down to compress the gasket. Tighten it a little after you ride until it doesn't want to tighten anymore but don't go overboard those are aluminum threads in the heads. Lightly coat the bolts with high heat thread lube.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Cheff1366 showed me he just squeezes the gaskets to make them a little oblong and they just stay in place

Comment

Working...
          X