Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 gs550 e exhaust on a 86 gs550e (will it fit?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs550 e exhaust on a 86 gs550e (will it fit?)

Hi all,im just wondering if an 83 gs550e complete exhaust system will fit on an 86 gs550 e, i bought the bike with a 4into one with a supertrapp universal racing muffler, ive never been able to get it run as good as it should carbs are clean ive done everything i should , cleaned carbs 3x had the floats professionally adjusted,adjusted valves etc and i even bought a gunsons colortune and adjusted the air screws so the flame is blue but still the exhaust smells like gas and the plugs are black and sooty so im thinking of changing the exhuast back to stock in last ditch effort to get it running right im thinking it should fit but i wanna make sure. Anyone got insight THANKS

Part number: 14170-43401 (centre pipe only) is the same.

Here is a useful link. You can lookup a specific part number and find out where it is used

'83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I'm assuming that you are referring to the U.S. model, but I didn't see location information on your profile. The engines were the same 83-86, and (almost) every exhaust system that I have seen on E-bay was the same as the setup on my GS550 ES. If you look at the exhaust system diagrams on (for example) cheapcycleparts.com http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3f7d1f8700230d8b4cdb3/muffler-model-f-g , then you can make a better guess as to whether or not the OEM setup from an 83 will fit on your bike. The ones that I have seen that are different have a 2 going into one for each side with a balance pipe, and my 86 has a right side. a left side, and a center exhaust pipe pair that hooks into the left and right sides (like in the diagram).

Is your bike running well? Idles nicely, smooth mid range, pulls strong at the wide open throttle position?

The Gunson's colortune showing blue means that the mixture is good for whatever throttle setting your are using at the moment (likely the pilot air and fuel jets unless you are on a dyno). However, you probably don't ride using the pilot jet throttle setting, so it is possible that your other jetting is not burning with a good mix.

A couple of other thoughts: the P.O. made some changes, including the exhaust system - have you checked to see if any of the jetting was changed? What about the spark plugs - are they what the factory recommended, or a different type (colder / hotter)? Standard airbox, or pods?

I would expect a 4-into-1 would flow better (otherwise, why bother?) than the stock system, and intuitively I would expect a leaner mixture as a result of more air going through the system. Having plugs suggesting too rich of a mixture sounds wrong to me.

Comment

YES oh and YES

Comment

Working...
        X