2 Headers bluing but they don't appear to be hotter than the others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Headers bluing but they don't appear to be hotter than the others

I just had a new Vance and Hines 4-into-1 exhaust installed on my 77 gs750. After less than 150 miles, the two outer headers have begun to discolor. I've been told that this is from those cylinders running too lean and overheating . . . except they do not appear to be any hotter than the middle two, which have not discolored. I checked the temps several times with an infrared thermometer and the outer two were consistently COOLER than the inner two. (I know that infrared thermometers are less accurate on metal surfaces, but it should be able to consistently gauge if one surface is hotter than the other.)

Is there any other reason that headers could discolor other than overheating? And can the bluing be removed without damaging the chrome finish?

2015-08-02 18.59.23.jpg

Well it is kind of unusual, and I would assume they are in fact hotter despite the measurements. You did not happen to put smaller jets in the outside did you?

Comment

The jets are all stock. (Assuming the previous owner didn't swap them out and I just didn't notice.)

Comment

Originally posted by HobzGoblin View Post
        The jets are all stock. (Assuming the previous owner didn't swap them out and I just didn't notice.)
        famous last words

Comment

Could also be a float level thing, but if you are the one who put the pipe on you are the one who should get the jetting right.

The PO had nothing to do with it.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Put a one size up main jet in the two and three.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Put a one size up main jet in the two and three.
              That is what I'm figuring is already there which is why they did not over heat when he swapped out the pipe. He should increase the outsides; they are the ones that look hot.

Comment

Infared thermometers work good on metal....but NOT shiny metal. When measuring temps on HVAC machines I work on, shiny copper pipe gets a pass of electrical tape over it to accurately read temps. Not feasible on exhaust pipes though.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I wonder if that aluminum tape would work?

But really that's all fluff, the pipe is hot so richen it up.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Here's a thought - PLUG CHOPS. Kwitchurgessin'.....

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Could also be a float level thing, but if you are the one who put the pipe on you are the one who should get the jetting right.

The PO had nothing to do with it.
                      I wasn't trying to blame the PO for my problems . . . just pointing out that I hadn't change jets (and I doubt the factory did either).

And, no, I wasn't the one who put the pipes on. I'm a newb and was doing more harm than good working on it in my own garage so I had someone else put her back together. This thread has given me an idea of what to ask him about when I talk to him later today.

Comment

Originally posted by HobzGoblin View Post
                        I wasn't trying to blame the PO for my problems . . . just pointing out that I hadn't change jets (and I doubt the factory did either).

And, no, I wasn't the one who put the pipes on. I'm a newb and was doing more harm than good working on it in my own garage so I had someone else put her back together. This thread has given me an idea of what to ask him about when I talk to him later today.
                        we will be waiting with baited breath

Comment

Working...
                        X