Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Persistent vacuum leaks and cold #1&4

Hey all,
    I'm working on a friends 1983 GS850G. It's in really good shape except that she brought it to me surging and popping. I've dipped the carbs, but new jets in, replaced the intake boots and air box boots as I've seen here that this is a really common problem. I noticed that the vacuum line for the petcock was split too so I've capped that off.

Even after synching the carbs it's still got hanging idle and revs when I spray around with starter fluid. I'll order the o-ring kit tomorrow and put those in there but I'm curious what else I could have missed and the temperatures on #1 and #4 are way lower. I switched the could around to eliminate a bad coil but there was no change. #1 & #4 were still cold.

Im at a bit of a loss and don't want to keep wasting my friends time and money if I'm missing something super obvious. I feel like I've hit all the common issues I could search on the forum here.

thanks!

and please forgive my crappy iPhone typing!

You did replace the O-rings on the intake boots?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      You did replace the O-rings on the intake boots?
      Yes, new carb boots, carb boot o rings and airbox boots.
      The only thing I know I haven't replaced are the carb o rings in the cycle orings kits.

I'm stumped

Comment

It's a bit perplexing that you dipped the carbs but reused the O-rings?

Make sure the airbox endcaps have good foam and seal properly against the side of the main airbox. Same thing for the air filter.

Did you vacuum sync the carbs or just bench sync?

You need to do something about the petcock. You shouldn't run the bike in prime other than to test it.

Where are the pilot screws set? If you have a hanging idle I'd put them at 3 turns open and then tune from there.

Lastly, how long since the last valve adjustment? If you say you don't know go straight to the Newbie Mistakes link in my signature.
        Last edited by Nessism; 08-07-2015, 09:48 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          It's a bit perplexing that you dipped the carbs but reused the O-rings?

Make sure the airbox endcaps have good foam and seal properly against the side of the main airbox. Same thing for the air filter.

Did you vacuum sync the carbs or just bench sync?

You need to do something about the petcock. You shouldn't run the bike in prime other than to test it.

Where are the pilot screws set? If you have a hanging idle I'd put them at 3 turns open and then tune from there.

Lastly, how long since the last valve adjustment? If you say you don't know go straight to the Newbie Mistakes link in my signature.

Just checked the valves, they are all in spec.
          Vacuum Synchronized the carbs with a Motion Pro tool.
          Tuning is being done with an auxiliary tank. I haven't put the tank back on as I haven't tracked down all the vacuum leaks yet.
          I've had the pilot screws anywhere from 1.5-4 turns (usually starting at 2.5 and working from there) out trying to get it to settle down.

I will check the air filter and airbox seal.

The leaks I have found with starting fluid seem to be on the front of the carbs. Thats where I get the most response in the revs.

I'll be getting the o-rings and re-cleaning the carbs at that time. I'm jut hoping there isn't something else I may have missed.

Comment

when you say the front of the carbs am i to take it you mean the engine side not the airbox side
            i ask because if you have an issues on the engine side and you have new intake boots and o-rings then they are not the correct boots
            if they were the correct boots then they would be sealing up correctly at the carb throat and at the head
            just a silly question are all the carb sinking ports sealed up???
            as well you have said you cleaned the carbs and replaced the jets did you blow compressed air through all the small openings in the carb followed by carb cleaner to be sure that there are no blocked passageways and did you replace all the orings in the carbs after dipping them

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderman View Post
              when you say the front of the carbs am i to take it you mean the engine side not the airbox side
              i ask because if you have an issues on the engine side and you have new intake boots and o-rings then they are not the correct boots
              if they were the correct boots then they would be sealing up correctly at the carb throat and at the head
              just a silly question are all the carb sinking ports sealed up???
              as well you have said you cleaned the carbs and replaced the jets did you blow compressed air through all the small openings in the carb followed by carb cleaner to be sure that there are no blocked passageways and did you replace all the orings in the carbs after dipping them
              I do mean the engine side
              All the parts are brand new Suzuki brand oem
              The sync ports are in the boots and they all have the screw and sealing washer that they came with in them
              I did spray carb cleaner and blow air through all the ports and jets.

Only non OEM parts so far: I replaced the hardware holding the boots to the head with socket cap screws of identical dimensions

Comment

Although rare, it's possible that the throttle shaft seals are creating the vacuum leak. I'm surprised we don't get more of this but fortunately we don't. Replacing those is not trivial but doable.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Although rare, it's possible that the throttle shaft seals are creating the vacuum leak. I'm surprised we don't get more of this but fortunately we don't. Replacing those is not trivial but doable.
                  Thats the one I'm worried about of...
                  The bike had been sitting for a long time, I got it running again and it was running fine until this. (The rubber bits finally gave up)

Is there a good way to pin point the vacuum leak? Starting fluid isn't exaclty precise. I've heard of using an unlit propane torch but I' haven't had a lot of luck with it.

Comment

I guess there are not better ideas? I'll see what happens then I get that o ring git from cycleorings.com

Comment

O-ring came in. I put them in and it looks like the a/f screw orings I had in there had a smaller cord stock size. Also the choke orings were dry and compressed.

Here's hoping that it works!

Comment

Throttle shaft seals proved to be bad. Major vaccum leaks between #2 and #3, which probably why they were so hot.

Comment

I've done throttle shaft seals, and they aren't fun. fortunately, they are still available as I ordered a full set for my kz1000 which has bs34ss carbs. the hardest part is getting the screws out without buggering up the throttle shaft. get new hex countersunk screws and set them with loctite and you should be good to go

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                            I've done throttle shaft seals, and they aren't fun. fortunately, they are still available as I ordered a full set for my kz1000 which has bs34ss carbs. the hardest part is getting the screws out without buggering up the throttle shaft. get new hex countersunk screws and set them with loctite and you should be good to go
                            New seals and screws ordered. Carbs apart and awaiting parts. I'm not looking forward to putting them back together..

Comment

Originally posted by ejether View Post
                              New seals and screws ordered. Carbs apart and awaiting parts. I'm not looking forward to putting them back together..
                              Man, ordered parts are never there when you want them.

Comment

Working...
                              X