Persistent vacuum leaks and cold #1&4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ejether View Post
    Man, ordered parts are never there when you want them.
    I know right? at least when I order from partzilla, the parts are always at my house in 2-3 days. when I get around to swapping the parts on the other hand, is another story. ejether, what I did for replacement butterfly plate screws is I took one of the least buggered screws to my local ace (I usually do all my random hardware runs at ace since they have the best selection of fasteners IMHO) and got a full set of 8 that were the same thread pattern as what came out of the throttle shafts. the ones I used were countersunk allen flat head screws and installed them with blue Loctite(the second time around. the first I used red because I didn't think i'd have to do them so soon). to get the old ones out, I carefully ground off the bulged tip of the original screws, then carefully applied enough pressure to removed them. they are going to be a PITA, because when they bulge the tip of the screw to peen it in place, part of the shank also expands, making them very tough to remove. if you are careful and take your time, you more than likely will not screw up the threads on the throttle shaft.

once you have the carb bodies separated, make sure to label/isolate all of your throttle linkage parts to which carb body they came out of. the linkage parts, throttle shafts, throttle shaft springs, and white end seals all matter where they go back to. but once done, you will not have to worry about those seals for probably another 15-20 years.

I suggest using the aforementioned allen screws since the JIS fasteners are really easy to bugger up when installing or removing.

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
      I know right? at least when I order from partzilla, the parts are always at my house in 2-3 days. when I get around to swapping the parts on the other hand, is another story. ejether, what I did for replacement butterfly plate screws is I took one of the least buggered screws to my local ace (I usually do all my random hardware runs at ace since they have the best selection of fasteners IMHO) and got a full set of 8 that were the same thread pattern as what came out of the throttle shafts. the ones I used were countersunk allen flat head screws and installed them with blue Loctite(the second time around. the first I used red because I didn't think i'd have to do them so soon). to get the old ones out, I carefully ground off the bulged tip of the original screws, then carefully applied enough pressure to removed them. they are going to be a PITA, because when they bulge the tip of the screw to peen it in place, part of the shank also expands, making them very tough to remove. if you are careful and take your time, you more than likely will not screw up the threads on the throttle shaft.

once you have the carb bodies separated, make sure to label/isolate all of your throttle linkage parts to which carb body they came out of. the linkage parts, throttle shafts, throttle shaft springs, and white end seals all matter where they go back to. but once done, you will not have to worry about those seals for probably another 15-20 years.

I suggest using the aforementioned allen screws since the JIS fasteners are really easy to bugger up when installing or removing.
      I always find that Partzilla is SLOOOW but maybe its just that I'm always ordering the hard to find parts that only come from Japan.
      In any case, I've already got the carbs apart, screws out and all. I use the coin trays from a cash register to sort parts. Work really well and the curved up edges make getting the last tiny part out easy, just like a coin.

Parts arrive on Thursday and I leave on vacation Friday AM so I better get it done before I leave or my friend will be mad!

Thanks!

ThaI've already gotten the

Comment

HEEEELLLLLLP!

Throttle shaft seals replaced, orings all replaced, air box boots and carb boots replaced...
        and it's still got vacuum leaks between the carbs.

How I'm testing:
        starting fluid through a red straw on specific places.

Repeat:
        HEEEELLLP!

Comment

Possible pinched intake o-ring.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Possible pinched intake o-ring.
            Do you mean the o-rings between the carb boots and the head? I don't think thats it, when I sprayed starting fluid directly in that area, it doesn't rev. Only whey I spray on the throttle shafts between the carbs.

??

Comment

So, I'm still pretty stumped here.

Quick recap:
              Bike came in running lean on all cylinders with hesitation and surging.

I have replaced:
              Carb boots and o-rings
              Airbox boots
              All o-rings on the fuel tees, a/f screws (cycle o rings kit)
              Butterfly shaft seals

And there are still major vacuum leaks between carbs 2&3

I'm testing with starting fluid sprayed through a red straw directly onto different parts of the carbs and have ruled out intake boots as the cause.
              It only revs up whenI spray fluid between 2&3 on the butterfly shaft and this is supported by how hot cylinders 2&3 are running.

I'm really at my wits end here and I can only think of a cracked carb body at this point?
              Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2015, 01:37 PM.

Comment

EJ

Can you post up some pictures of the problem area? Do one with the straw in it for reference

I hate it when carbs kick my ass
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Possibly worn throttle shaft bushings in the carbs. I think i have the same issue with my kz. I wanna see what you find before i rip into my kz's carbs again

Comment

Hey ejether, did you doa vacuum sync on those carbs? I just redid the sync on my kz and my lean issues went away.

Comment

Working...
                    X