Rubber plugs turned to goo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber plugs turned to goo

I recently tried to start my bike after sealing the tank and adding a new petcock. Before I put the tank back on, I hooked up my auxiliary tank to make sure everything was still in working order. Full choke and some throttle and would rev high and die. Gas starts POURING from the carb vent between 1 and 2. WTH!!! I just rebuilt the carbs little over a year ago. Take the carbs off and remove the float bowls and my rubber plugs are GOO!!! I put new ones in when I went through the carbs. Must not of been OEM or gas rated. I have only ran non-oxy fuel through these carbs nothing else. Anybody else ever had this happen?

Where'd you buy the plugs from?

Usually they get hard and maybe shrink a little over time. But I've never seen them dissolve. Any chance you sprayed some cleaner in there with the plugs left in?

Comment

You are refering to rubber plugs that go over pilot jets, right??? Did you use any odd chemicals on carbs one year ago and maybe let it sit in carbs?
      In any event gas traveling up the vent line means your floats aren't holding back fuel- might have been stuck down from sitting .
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Can't quite remember where the plugs came from, I think ebay. I had sprayed carb cleaner when the carbs were apart like the tutorial says but that's it. Has had gas run through them since.

Yes the rubber plugs that go over the pilot jets. This stuff was nasty, it has taken 2 days just to get it off my hands. It reminded me of Venom from Spiderman. it did not want to come off. Now the float seats are stuck and I have already destroyed 2 of them and a pilot jet as well. Got new plugs, seats and pilot jet on the way.

Comment

I have seen a few of these plugs turned to goo, nasty stuff as you describe. I don't know why it happens.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah and now you may have some sucked into the pilot jets and the pilot passages. May be a source of trouble. Hope you dont have to redip the bodies to get the goo out.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I've seen a few
              This would not be the cause of the carbs overflowing
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The carbs are getting redipped, new orings that need replacing (good thing I got an extra set from Robert laying around) and the new pilot jet and float seats I destroyed. Hopefully have it running again by this weekend.

I'm assuming the "goo" is what caused the floats to stick and allowed the gas to come out the vent.

Comment

Oh yes been there and done that. Bought some plugs from eBay (not sure from who) and they turned to Jello in less than 12 months:

Most likely the crap fuel we have now but I would be tempted to buy only from Mikuni genuine parts places or Suzuki. Or think about fuel additives.

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Yours look good compared to mine, wish I took some pictures of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X