Fuel starvation issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel starvation issues

On Friday it broke down on me while on my way home from work . Started to lose power like I was out of fuel so I switched to Reserve. Continued to gradually lose power while on the highway (still able to maintain 60 mph, but obviously struggling to) and then I pulled over and it died.

Info on the bike:
    -1982 GS750E, 41k miles
    -Carbs cleaned Winter 2015
    -Petcock rebuilt Winter 2015
    -K&N pods, 4-1 header, DynoJet Stage 3
    -About 600 miles since the work was completed

I had no problems before Friday. Even going to work that morning, the bike seemed perfectly fine. I filled up the bike the previous day, and my normal ride to work is 40-50 miles. I estimate the bike went about 100 miles before I had this issue.

After I pulled it over, I drained the bowls to find that cyl #1 & 4 had very little fuel, 2 & 3 had plenty. I have an inline filter installed that showed no debris. After I drained the bowl for cyl. #1, I put the petcock on prime and #1 immediately started flowing fuel. So the lines/passages seem unclogged and there's plenty of fuel left in the tank.

So, I primed the bowls again, and it started. It died on me about a half a mile later, so I left it on prime. The rest of my ride was 40-50 mph back roads so I took it easy (light fuel loads) and I did have to stop a couple more times because it started acting like it was starved for fuel again. Left it idling for a couple minutes and it would be good to go again.

So far I have ruled out:
    -Rust/debris - tank is clean, no debris in filter, fuel seems to flow fine when on prime
    -Clogged fuel feed - filter is clean, carbs 2/3 had full bowls, bowl 1 filled immediately when on prime

I'm thinking collapsed fuel petcock when under vacuum? I used the rebuild kit from Z1 Enterprises FWIW.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2015, 11:07 AM.

"I'm thinking collapsed fuel petcock when under vacuum?"

good thinking, petcock rebuilding is iffy- get new petcock from Z1 - and skip the inline filter as it's not needed with a good petcock filter.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Also check that the gas cap is venting properly. If it isn't, a vacuum will build up in the tank. You can tell that's happening if you remove the cap and hear a hissing sound.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I have this problem intermittently on my GS1100EZ. Occasionally I have some hissing when taking off the gas cap, and the cap is clearly worn. How does one go about fixing a sealing gas cap?

I've ruled out the petcock being the issue, and just recently cleaned out the carbs as well. I also have trouble with the engine running lean and slowly overheating after about a half-hour of riding.

Comment

Originally posted by nicolettijd View Post
          I have this problem intermittently on my GS1100EZ. Occasionally I have some hissing when taking off the gas cap, and the cap is clearly worn. How does one go about fixing a sealing gas cap?

I've ruled out the petcock being the issue, and just recently cleaned out the carbs as well. I also have trouble with the engine running lean and slowly overheating after about a half-hour of riding.
          You do not need to seal it
          You need to unseal it.
          Venting is important to the flow of gas.
          Clean it
          Oh and put a larger main jet in it/Shim the needle or get a jet kit. You will kill this motor if you don't.
          Last edited by chef1366; 08-31-2015, 08:49 PM.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It turns out it was my petcock. There was a leak in the vacuum seal and it was pulling gas into the vacuum line. I'm amazed it started and ran. I managed to seal the vacuum line, stick the petcock into reserve after installing a shut-off valve in the gas line. It should work until I get a new petcock.

Comment

Working...
            X