Need some help or suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help or suggestions

Putting the stock exhaust on my 79 1000 and came to the conclusion it would not fit with the side stand in position. So I removed side stand and got the exhaust on and you guessed it, now the side stand won't fit back on. Where the spring hooks onto a peg up near the pipes is actually hitting on the pipe where #2 joins up with #1.

All I know is that something is wrong and I need advice for a cure. Leaving the side stand off is not an option.

Thanks for any good help.

Larry
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Did you have this exhaust on your bike before? Maybe it got bent since you removed it. If not, maybe it's not the right exhaust.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Have a camera? Take and post a few really good photographs with the side stand up, and down.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
        Did you have this exhaust on your bike before? Maybe it got bent since you removed it. If not, maybe it's not the right exhaust.
        No, I just picked it up last fall from another GSR member who was converting his to V&H 4-1. I didn't know it could be the wrong one. I figured GS 1000 would fit any other GS 1000, knowing of course the "L" model would be shorter.

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
        Have a camera? Take and post a few really good photographs with the side stand up, and down.
        I can get some pics of it tomorrow but it is off right now. Maybe I can show how it gets in the way of the header pipe #2.

Thanks for helping.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Just pull of header pipe #1 and take a pic
          You can pull off header pipe #1, can't you?

There's 4 or more exhausts that fit GS 1000s -E,S, G and L for sure

Check the stamped ID plate near the back end and see what us says
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Rather busy today, will try to post some pics tonight. May need help posting pics on here though. Maybe just use photobucket?
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Last night I considered deleting this thread but then decided to sleep on it. I guess I will leave it alone since it might be of some help to others experiencing what I did.

Much to my embarrassment, as this has happened a lot in my life, I put the cart before the horse as the saying goes. Bottom line is -- the exhaust does fit without any mods to anything. So now it is sitting proud and pretty on my 79 GS1000. Soon I will be hearing the beautiful sound of stock exhaust once again. Fingers crossed everything else goes well in getting her back on the road.

Thanks again to all input I received.

Larry
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

I find the more mistakes I make (and own up to), the less embarrassed I get admitting them.

So what was the problem with fit, and how did you solve it? That information might actually help someone, someday.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                  I find the more mistakes I make (and own up to), the less embarrassed I get admitting them.

So what was the problem with fit, and how did you solve it? That information might actually help someone, someday.
                  I wish I knew. I removed both sides, put the side stand on and then just had to see if things would line up. With the side stand in the down position, I twisted the header pipe through and behind the side stand and then inserted the pipe into the head and voilą, it fits. After that I just took it back from the head and let it drop down on the lift table, connected the crossover pipe and put it back into the head.

It was like one of those things you work on for too long then walk away from it and when you come back to it, suddenly it all falls into place.

I did replace all the exhaust bolts with studs but had to do a little bit to make sure the flanges went into place smoothly. Also had to make the mounting hole on the muffler a little more elongated, but at least it's done now.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

First time I fitted a 4-1 I had a similar head-scratching experience, as the bugger just wouldn't line up. Eventually, with cajoling and swearing it did go in, but during the process I noticed that it would have been easy for someone to swap one of the down pipes for another and make it impossible to fit properly, even though it seemed it should. That mistake was made early on in the process and rectified quickly, but I'll bet there are some out there who didn't notice it.
                    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                    X