No announcement yet.

Installing Pod Filters on 1980 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran cheapo pods on my 750. It ran great and racked 40k miles on three sets of Pods (they can't be cleaned, have to get new ones). I have run K&N and if you eat big miles and plan to own the bike for years I'd recommend those first. However I did run Emgo Pods and it was an animal The carbs are easier to pull to work on with pods too. The engine died due to excessive oil leaks on the base gasket. It still ran but was tired, pulled the jugs to find silicone and a big bore kit installed. Ran an 1100 swap with Pods, ran like raped ape.

I've run cheap pods rack 10's of thousand of miles on multiple bikes with them and was able to get my bikes to run much better then the stock air box.

Ran K&N pods on my B-12 , sound investment but that bike ran big miles every year... Jetting was PITA though. I blame Hole shot for that

Be sure to become a master of carbs before you walk down this road... You NEVER get it right the first time but once you get it right the smile will never escape your face!

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Jedz123; 08-19-2015, 08:32 AM.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I'll have to agree with jedz123, you can absolutely get the bike running beautifully with pods, but it is no walk in the park. I have had my bike running well for a long time but it was just recently with the addition of a header and exhaust with the right back pressure that I have gotten the bike running perfectly. The difference is night and day and the satisfaction is intoxicating. My experience has been with VM carburetors up to this point. It's sad but I don't think most people who ride these bikes have a clue as to how well they can run. Sticking with the original equipment is the easiest way to have a good experience with a GS motorcycle, but they can be made to run better than stock. It's a lot of work and trial and error but definitely possible.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Some humorous and informative info from our oum Mister Cinders
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
          I'll have to agree with jedz123, you can absolutely get the bike running beautifully with pods, but it is no walk in the park. I have had my bike running well for a long time but it was just recently with the addition of a header and exhaust with the right back pressure that I have gotten the bike running perfectly. The difference is night and day and the satisfaction is intoxicating. My experience has been with VM carburetors up to this point. It's sad but I don't think most people who ride these bikes have a clue as to how well they can run. Sticking with the original equipment is the easiest way to have a good experience with a GS motorcycle, but they can be made to run better than stock. It's a lot of work and trial and error but definitely possible.
          This is my point, it can be done but it takes a lot of work, testing, learning, trial and error. Read the OP's post and tell me he's the one that's going to do all of this?
          He'll dick with it a few hours, ride it around running like crap a few months and it will join the endless parade of parts bikes on Craigslost.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

k&n lets a lot of dirt through, had them on a gs850, that bike was the easy to start, on my katana 1100 a 91 i put uni foam filters, they seamed the best to me, i read a lot to get a good base line and fined tuned to my elevation. on the katana site they bad mouth pod filters, but my bike runs great.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              This is my point, it can be done but it takes a lot of work, testing, learning, trial and error. Read the OP's post and tell me he's the one that's going to do all of this?
              He'll dick with it a few hours, ride it around running like crap a few months and it will join the endless parade of parts bikes on Craigslost.
              If you could go fu.ck yourself, that would be great. Mkay

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Then one of us pick up another sub $500 jewel in the rough. All of my favorite classics UJM's were non running sub $500 "parts" bike.

I remember being just like this new member too Tkent. I know I was probably pretty frustrating to deal with when I was a new member... But maybe, just maybe he'll accept the religion and learn as I did.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by coolio View Post
                  You are correct about the top down approach when changing the jetting...I have a 750 with a set of carbs on it from a 1000. Trying to save some $$ I've played around with the needle heights, main jet sizes and have it pretty close but it does cough and choke a bit above 3/4 throttle.
                  My thinking is it's too rich? Need to drop the mains down a size or 2?

The dyno kits I've found get things almost bang on ...again from my experience...with K & N's oiled I've found they work well setup as per their instructions.

Dave
                  Did you make sure to remove the vent tubes? I had the same issue until those were removed per Dynojets recommendation

Comment

Originally posted by Froader4life View Post
                    If you could go fu.ck yourself, that would be great. Mkay
                    That's going to get you a lot of help! I have no doubt tkent02 is probably right in his assessment with that kind of attitude. Remember, it's you who is asking for help.
                    Last edited by OldVet66; 08-19-2015, 10:56 AM.
                    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I never treated any senior member here with disrespect, even when I received comments that put my devotion to a restore into question.

Truth is Froader you can't respond to members thinking we are just out to be jerks. Truthfully we see allot of guys buy these GSs, chop em up throw exhausts and pods and can't figure a dang thing out when they don't run right. Then ultimately they end up back on CL.

You have to take comments with a grain of salt. sometime a pound but I'm with Oldvet66 saying crap like that is going deter allot of wisdom from you inquiries.
                      Last edited by Jedz123; 08-19-2015, 11:16 AM.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                      X