83 gs750es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs750es

Alrighty so Im going to give you all the quickest version of the story possible. I bought this bike at the beginning of the summer thinking it only needed a few things done.......I was wrong. So far I have de-rusted the tank and lined with red kote, re-painted the bike, and cleaned the carbs. This has all taken longer then normal seeing as I spend a good amount of time at work and I live in a apartment complex so if I want to do work on the bike it has to be a perfect weather day....or the bike sits under the tarp next to my car. A couple weeks ago I got on the bike to go for my first spin, and it died after going around the corner, I tore the carbs apart to find a mess, one of the main jets was missing the washer from under it, and one of the return needles was stuck in the up position( I freed it using carb cleaner and heat). On top of this the washers/o-ring under the fuel to air were destroyed(replaced). I replaced the spark plugs, one of which had been torqued down so hard that the piston had bumped the gap out of it.....no clue how this bike ran when i bought it......it is the only time it has started cleanly and ran well haha. I through everything back on the bike the other day after the red kote had been curing in the tank for about 9 days, and I had gotten the new o-rings/washer for under the fuel/air screw, and new plugs for on top of the low jet. Went to start the bike up, and I set the petcock to prime to fill the carbs back up and they start to leak from the overflow. My intuition tells me that the floats need to be adjusted(to much gas is getting into the carbs) am I right or is there something else I should check first? thought the floats were fine when I was cleaning, but after watching a few videos on youtube I was measuring them wrong. what do the resident GS experts think here?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the bike has pod filters, and a 4 into 1 exhaust, the guy I bought it off of said it had been jetted for them...................but I dont believe **** he told me at this point, but even without the right jets, it should still run when set correctly? just not optimally?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2015, 10:06 PM.

Follow the procedures in the carb rebuilding guide here - http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

and check all of the jet sizes while you have it apart
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
      X