Carb sync tool opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb sync tool opinions

Now that I am the proud owner of 3 GS I have decided to ditch my homemade carb sync tool and invest in a real tool. My question is which one should I get. Motion pro seems ok but as an avionics technician the vacume gauges look better. They're both about the same cost, my only concern is technically the gauge set should be calibrated where the motion pro gets balanced every use.

Opinions?

Morgan carbtune is a favorite around here.

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
      Morgan carbtune is a favorite around here.

Nic
      probably more foolproof but if setup properly nothing the gauge sets can't do . You have to adjust the bleeders to reduce intake pulsing. Biggest issue I have with my gauges is cheap vacume line that des integrated

Comment

Carbtune for the win
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have the dubious pleasure of owning all but the analog gauges (although I have used them before). I have the MotionPro unit with the blue fluid, a set of true mercury sticks (with SIX columns ), the Morgan Carbtune and the official Suzuki ball gauge.

I don't use the MotionPro unit because one of the columns has a leak, meaning I only have three columns available.

The Suzuki gauge looks good, but is a bit of a pain to use, as it has to be calibrated every time before use.

The Carbtune is a great unit and is the perfect tool for portable use.

In the shop, though, I will reach for the mercury sticks first. Not only does it not need calibrating, it is the standard to which any other gauge is calibrated. They are self-damping, so no restrictors are necessary. Just don't tip it past horizontal so mercury falls out, and it is the perfect tool.

My recommendation? Get the Carbtune.

;.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No question here,get a Morgan Carbtune.IMO the best way is to get one direct from Morgan as they're shipping rates are great.Get the case to,it's as nice as the Carbtune.

Comment

Ditto Morgan carbtune.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Morgan Carbtune and a set of decent brass adapters from Z1. Some people are surprised by the cost but they're the right tool for the job and will last longer than you.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Carb Wood!!!homemade monometer and bore bar stand.jpg
                  Thats what its called??? Made of wood quick connect fittings and machined brass adaptors, Used it to try to get my New Lectrons to idle at 1200 or so rpm but...well 2000 isnt bad anyhow . It seems to work as well as my mercury sticks i had which had the glass go funny cracks everywhere??? MThanx Mike

Comment

I've used them all. Still have most of them. Carbtune. No brainer.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                    X