throttle shafts or shaft seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

throttle shafts or shaft seals?

so doing some trouble shooting/tuning on my kz1000 bs34ss carbs last night revealed that I have air getting by on either my #3 or #4 carb body. what I was trying to get rid of was the dreaded low throttle stumble, which turned out to be the #4 float was set too high, as evidenced by doing the bench float test with fuel, and measured to confirm. after resetting the float, I put the carbs back on and then went to tune the idle air/fuel and found that I had to go a lot further out with carbs 3 & 4 to get the popping idle to go away. so I checked for vacuum leaks and found a leak at the throttle shafts between #3 & #4, couldn't really differentiate whether it was #3 or #4. I recently back in may did all 8 throttle shaft seals with the actual seals, not just any o-ring that would fit snug enough like I did last year cause I didn't buy enough seals. so i'm leaning more towards worn out shaft bushings. what do you guys think? is it possible to get the bushings redone?

The bore can wear out although its not common on our bikes- very common on automobile carburetors from the 60s and 70s. Are you certain your replacement seals are correct? It may be cheaper to replace that carb body than to have it drilled and bushed - if the bore is out of spec.

Comment

Actually, as it turns out it just needed a better carb sync. And yes, they are correct seals. I had to order the seals for a gs1100 with bs34ss carbs, since they don't list the seals for a kz1000

Comment

Working...
      X