RS36 carbs good for easy cruising?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RS36 carbs good for easy cruising?

My Beast is sick.. low compression in #2. Threads on that in other sections...
    but I came across a "seasoned" bike repair mechanic ( I've seen him working in several different bike shops over the years) ...
    he was confidant that "those RS36 carbs are awesome for racing but you have to keep opening them to make the bike run good. They are horrible if you want to ride around at 55 all day... they lean out, bog, cause all sorts of trouble."

Any thoughts ? Suggestions? Is he "full of **it" .... or "wise old man" ???
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

People that have them say they are streetable, just not a smooth as CV which is more important in the twisties than with wrist twisties.

Comment

depends on the engine...
      my 1150 with RS 36's would cruise fine all day and then all hell would break loose when i whacked them.
      it is better to under carb than over carb with smooth bores on a street bike that's ridden daily.
      36 mechanical s are to large for a GS 8 vavle unless a lot of work is done.
      the drag strip is a different story.

Comment

Thanks guys... my signature has everything that was done to the bike.
        I wouldn't mind taming it down a bit. I wouldn't mind stock carbs, bores, and yes, even an airbox. I'll keep the cams and Kerker. Now if I can just find a donor...
        1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
        1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
        1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
        Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Working...
        X