Ethanol seperation tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethanol seperation tutorial

Seems simple and logical enough. Some kind of clear tubing to let the ethanol settle to the bottom and a draining valve. Found it interesting so i stole it to repost here...

Discussion Forum: How to make your own ethanol-free gasoline • GL1800 DIY Articles • The premier web site for Goldwing technical information, DIY tutorials and community discussion
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Interesting, but too much work. One of the comments sums it up for me

"You have now produced hazardous waste and will have to pay to properly dispose of the ethanol. I suggest you just purchase your fuel from a high through-put, top tier station (Shell, Texaco, CostCo, Chevron, etc.) and ride your bike often to not allow the fuel to set an absorb moisture from the air. If you have to let your bike set for an extended period of time use a fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil Marine or SeaFoam, (I prefer SeaFoam) go for a short run to get the treated fuel through the system, top off the tank and park it. For all the time you take to make "ethanol free gas" you could be out riding."

I've been using Stabil marine (blue stuff) for many years in outboards with good luck. I use a maintenance dose in my bike maybe 50% of time to keep the ethanol gremlins at bay.It works for me!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Put it in the oil from your oil changes and take it to the recycle drum at your local auto parts place.

EDIT...since both water and ethanol evaporate why not just set the bucket outside and let nature reclaim it naturally??
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-27-2015, 04:48 PM.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I know I might catch some flack from this, but the use I would have for this byproduct would be to kill off the pesky blackberries that keep popping up all over my property. i'm just talking about pouring enough to kill the roots. those things are what I imagine Satan's pubic hairs to be like.

Comment

It's a non-issue. I have never had a problem with E10 gasoline in any vehicle. Motorcycle, car, truck, lawn mower, weed eater, or what have you. Why would I go to all of that trouble to cure a "problem" that doesn't exist?

Comment

Is that a tutorial to make redneck Vodka? Krrrazy. some down-home corn likker, that is....

Comment

I just buy ethanol-free gas at the Wawa in town. It's a whole lot less work .

Comment

Some states dont have many ( if any ) ethanol free stations. We are blessed around here to have way too many to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Some states dont have many ( if any ) ethanol free stations. We are blessed around here to have way too many to choose from.
                  I live within 15 miles of four places that sell ethanol-free gasoline. I tried a few tanks in the CTS-V, and there was no difference, not even at the drag strip.

Comment

I don't think they sell Ethanol gas here in southwest Michigan, or you have to go find a station that does.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                    X