1977 GS750 Valve Issue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 Valve Issue ?

I was riding the bike at about 130 km on the highway the other day and I lost all engine power. The throttle was literally doing nothing when turned. The bike still had electrical power and the motor would rev up when down shifting. On the side of the road the motor was hot (I had been riding for a couple hours at various speeds) and when I tried to start the bike it would kind of start, flutter and die instantly.. so I towed it home and let it sit for a few days (I was busy with work).

Last night I got around to turning it on and boom it started up and warmed up like normal. I pulled the plugs to see if there were any learnings to be had there. Plugs 2-4 we're super super black and cylinder 1 was white / brown on the tip and black brown on the base of the plug. I replaced all the plugs and now the bike is smoking like crazy!

Otherwise, there is a bit of a tick when the bike is running and a rattle at about 2,500 - 3,000 rpm which sounds like its coming from the valves. I think the tick might be a loose chain but can a loose / warn out chain cause these types of problems? My old man thinks it might need valve / head work. Thoughts?

The bike is on a stock air box with 4-1 pipes.

Any suggestions / experiences with similar problems would be appreciated!

-Jon

Add a location to yur signature..if folks know where you are you may get an experienced member to come and take a look
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Start here:

A well maintained motorcycle is a beautiful thing.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Maybe a valve or piston ring went away?? Start with a compression test. Wide open throttle and roll over till the needle on the gauge has reached its maximum read. This will tell a great deal right off the bat.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Still got a vacuum petcock?? Check its operation in case it failed and added fuel into crankcase, thru #3 carb. Check air filter element for gas dampness from excess blowby.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Check valve clearance. You might have a couple tight ones.
            1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
            sigpic
            My GS550 Build

Comment

+ location

I'm going to get a compression tester this weekend. I still have a vacuum petcock that was checked not long ago - I'll check again. If the piston compression is good, I'm going to check valve clearances and chain tension next.

Thanks all!

Comment

Just did a compression test. These are the results:

Cyl #1: 115
                Cyl #2: 115
                Cyl #3: 110
                Cyl #4: 108

I then sprayed a bit of oil in each cylinder and redid the compression test. I've been told that if the PSI increases with oil in the cylinders it means that air is getting between the piston rings and the cylinder walls as the oil is helping create a better seal. Thus meaning that the piston rings need to be done.

Readings with oil:

Cyl #1: 130
                Cyl #2: 140
                Cyl #3: 140
                Cyl #4: 125

So, with all that said. Can anyone else vouch for this type of problem solving with the oil in the cylinders? I'll likely try to do the work myself but it will take a lot of time and so i'll take the insurance off the bike if I'm getting into a top end rebuild.

Comment

Did you check valve clearance? And did you do the compression test hot? Valve clearance first....then compression test. A tight valve lash clearance can skew your compression test

sigpic
                  My GS550 Build

Comment

Haven't checked the clearances yet and the motor was cold. Going to do both tomorrow night. Thanks for the tip. I got the order all wrong!

Comment

Checked the clearances and couldn't get a .003 (smallest feeler gauge size I have) in between any of the shims / cam lobes! I guess it's time to buy some shims? Is it worth buying an entire kit? I really don't have any idea what sizes I'll need.

Comment

Don't buy a whole kit. You need to buy some smaller feeler gauges to fit in there. Then you can either do the math, or E-MAIL Steve for his 'shim spreadsheet' to find out what shims you need in each bucket to achieve the specified clearances. Search 'shim club'.
                        Last edited by CrazyCloud; 09-02-2015, 09:07 PM.
                        Regards,
                        Jason

Comment

Take the readings on each shim and record them. Then do the math and see what each will need. Next. PM Ghostgs1 ( Ray at the SHIM CLUB ) and tell him what you need. When they arrive you swap them out and send Ray the old ones..nothing to buy and just a day or two to get the replacements.

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.

Comment

Finally got some time and the tool to check out the shims. Here's what was in there:

Cyl #1 EX: 2.70
                            Cyl #1 IN: 2.70

Cyl #2 EX: 2.75
                            Cyl #2 IN: 2.75

Cyl #3 EX: 2.75

Cyl #3 IN: 2.75

Cyl #4 EX: 2.70

Cyl #4 IN: 2.80

I took a couple of the 2.70's and put them where the 2.75's were to see if this made a difference and i'm still unable to get a .04 feel gauge in those valves? Is it normal to have all the valves like .10 + out? I feel like that's a huge difference but again this is my first time working on valves. I'm just trying to get a sense of what shims I will need to order? Right now i'm thinking 3 x 2.60 and 4 x 2.65.

Comment

I assume you mean .04mm feeler gauge. It is tough to estimate what you need when they are so tight you can't get a gauge in. Try this. Start the measurement process again, but replace each shim with a quarter. It will be thinner than the shim. Measure the clearance and add that clearance to the measured thickness of the quarter. The shim you need will be that total minus .08 mm (the high end of the spec). Replace the shim and move to the next valve.

sigpic
                              My GS550 Build

Comment

Working...
                              X