Dumb question about air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question about air box

I remember sealing the air box on my 850.
    At the risk of sounding dumb, is this equally important for the opening on the top of my GS1100E ? Just installed a kn filter and noticed the cover doesn't really sit that flush on top.

Can't find my weather striping tape or I probably wouldn't ask and would just do it

Is the filter pushing it up?

Does it sit flush without the filter?

Maybe the filter is not quite seated correctly?

It has been a while since I have worked on that model GS, so I don't know exactly how everything fits together in that area.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll check again.

Did notice that the OEM filter wasn't actually round all the way, it had a flat portion marked TOP. Whereas the kn filet is round. But kn probably knows their business. It probably wasn't right before either, I just got the bike. It's not like there's a big gap or anything, but pressing either side of the cover let's it wiggle a small bit

Comment

On that style air box it's not critical, as the dust is sealed out anyway, the filter element keeps all the dirt out of that separate second chamber. As long as the second part of the box after the filter is sealed you are good to go as far as keeping dust out. I have run it without the cover, it's louder but it only seems to effect the mixture a little bit. A slight leak there with the lid in place shouldn't matter much at all. But it's easy to seal, I have used silicone sealer and waxed paper to make the sealer only stick to the cover. Coat the cover's sealing area with silicone, shut the cover on the paper. Push it down enough to seal but not so tight that it squishes all of the sealer out. Maybe set a weight on the cover to push it down. After it dries peel off the waxed paper, cut away any loose strings of the sealer and you have an airtight seal.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nice advice. Thank you.

Wasn't sure why it's be so important there since as you say the filter is secure regardless. But I was unsure if having extra air flow might affect the mix. I'll try to snug it up a bit without making myself crazy

Comment

Old Vance and Hines 4-1 jetting suggestions
            Remove air box lid and install a 117.5 main jet.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

With stock jetting, it will be lean if the airbox lid is gone or leaky. It's well worth the 50 cents worth of weather stripping...

Lots of these are missing the airbox lids because doofs in the '80s threw them out but neglected to do the requisite rejetting.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Wonder if that filter is 33years old

IMG_20150829_082951679.jpg

Comment

I run my 80 GS1100E like chef1366 said

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Old Vance and Hines 4-1 jetting suggestions
                    Remove air box lid and install a 117.5 main jet.
                    Thanks.

It has a 4-1 Supertrapp. I don't know what the jetting is but it runs well I think. It smelled like maybe it was a little rich, hoping the new kn filter will address this without requiring much adjustment of the carbs. filter pics, oy
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2015, 08:39 PM.

Comment

I pulled the carbs for the first time, the main jets are 115. maybe I'll test it without the lid for more air flow

Comment

Working...
                      X