gas leaking at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas leaking at

connector tee between #2 and #3. I was putting gas in the auxillary tank to fire it up and it started running out from the tee. I had these carbs off the bike for too long. Did the connector shrink and dry out or is this problem related to something else?

Looking for some guidance here as to what I should do to correct this problem. I don't think new tees are available anymore although I might be wrong about this.

All help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Larry
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

It's a dried out T. If it's not too bad it could swell back up in a day or two ....hopefully. Otherwise you're probably going to have to change it for a redesigned one with actually orings. Yours is probably the molded rubber over metal style.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Is there anything I could spray into the area to maybe help it expand a little?
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Call Z1 and have them send you the metal tee that requires orings and get the straight transfer tubes as well. Suzukis greatest carb folly of all time was those rubber coated pieces of c$hitt.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys. Calling Z1. Ordered. Unfortunately, item is out of stock and "might" be released in 3-4 weeks. Great, at least they will get here someday. In the meantime I am going to remove the old ones and see if I can get them to swell enough to use until replacements arrive.
          Last edited by alke46; 09-04-2015, 11:52 AM.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
            Thanks guys. Calling Z1. Ordered. Unfortunately, item is out of stock and "might" be released in 3-4 weeks. Great, at least they will get here someday. In the meantime I am going to remove the old ones and see if I can get them to swell enough to use until replacements arrive.
            I might have one Alke, let me look and I'll let you know

Comment

Cool, I'll be waiting.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                Cool, I'll be waiting.
                I have several rubber covered metal ones but none that take orings. Pull your carbs apart and give a look at the piece. I have never had one give out on me, maybe yours was damaged in re-assembly? If you need a standard one let me know

Comment

Take it out and soak it in some ATF or a plastic renew/protectant for a couple.of days. I did that with my leaky T when put my GS1000 back on the road after a several year hiatus. That was 2003 and it hasn't leaked since.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                  https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                    Take it out and soak it in some ATF or a plastic renew/protectant for a couple.of days. I did that with my leaky T when put my GS1000 back on the road after a several year hiatus. That was 2003 and it hasn't leaked since.
                    Yea, I was thinking along those same lines. Thought I would let it soak overnight in some Marvel Mystery Oil to see if it feels a little tighter when put back in place.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                      I have several rubber covered metal ones but none that take orings. Pull your carbs apart and give a look at the piece. I have never had one give out on me, maybe yours was damaged in re-assembly? If you need a standard one let me know
                      Thanks for the offer. I will try soaking mine 1st but at least I know where I can get one if needed. I have new ones on order that I will put in over the winter.

Don't like pulling these carbs off and putting them back on, but with practice comes experience. Now if I could only acquire new boots between the air box and carb intakes.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

A temp fix would be wrapping them with gas grade teflon tape for the interum till the replacements arrive.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Think I have it worked out at least for the time being. I did not want to pull the carbs off again so I just got some Marvel Mystery Oil and dripped a few drops onto the tee going into #2 and #3. Did this several times over about 3 days and then hooked up the temporary tank and voila! no leakage. Once I get the new parts and the snow is flying as I know it will shortly, I will pull the carbs and replace the tees with new metal ones with O-rings. Also will soak the air box to carb boots in wintergreen oil and hopefully everything will be good with the carbs.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Larry
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

the teflon tape works well, for an almost infinite amount of time.
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                              the teflon tape works well, for an almost infinite amount of time.
                              Thanks Greg. Good to know for future reference.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Working...
                              X